Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Previously: I sighed, turning back, and noticed Brad staring intently at me. I felt slightly uncomfortable, squirming a little. "What?" He shook his head. "Nothing." He walked away, and I rested my head on my table, suddenly feeling exhausted, hoping to catch a wink before the teacher came in. Boys could be so tiring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Where's Nate?" Ethan asked at lunch. We had already become accustomed to seating with the jocks during lunch, much to the cheerleaders' dismay and crazy jealousy. We would often feel glares boring into our backs.

"I think he said he wasn't hungry just now, guess he's skipping lunch," Chase replied thoughtfully.

"Really? That glutton's skipping lunch? Bull. I bet he's up to something. Funny, he hasn't been around much these few days," Brad joked, his lips forming into a warm smile, yet... I felt my heart die a little. I knew exactly why Nate hadn't been around us these few days. It was so obvious he was trying to avoid me. He had shunned me in the hallways, hadn't talked to me in class and wouldn't even spare me a glance whenever we were together with the others. Even the usually clueless jocks might have already figured out that Nate had been avoiding me. And the worst part of it was that I didn't have a clue why. He couldn't still be angry over what I said about Kelly right? Petty ass. I felt annoyance boil up inside of me.

"Um, I have to go help Mr Grant with some posters for a math competition. Catch you guys later," I smiled feebly, picking up my tray and walking to the front to return it. I could feel their stares at the back of my head, and I quickened my pace, eager to get away from the cafeteria.

As I walked to Mr Grant's office, I noticed Nate coming from the opposite direction. I instinctively kept my head down, eyes trained to the floor. I was in no mood for his constantly glum face and mood swings right now. Silently praying that he wouldn't notice me, I looked up briefly, only to get lost in his striking green eyes again. It was almost as if I was sucked in a whirlpool and I could feel myself sinking, swirling in the green... It was like time had stopped for a minute, and I thought I saw something flash in his eyes before he looked away, brushing past me. Was it... Regret... and confusion I saw in his eyes? What was he thinking about then? I sighed. I guess I would never be able to understand what was going on in his mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

God, these heels sure were killing me. I thought to myself, slipping them off my feet and holding the shoes in my hand. I made my way out of the night club and walked ahead further to hail a cab. I could never take the bus home in my stripper outfit. Someone might recognise me. It was way too risky. I stopped somewhere in front of a diner nearby. Damn, it was always hard to get a cab at this hour.

"Kelly, I don't..." That voice. I spun around immediately, praying hard that my ears were just playing tricks on me. It didn't work as usual. Standing a short distance away from me were Nate and Kelly. I was too shocked to even move, and I felt my legs turning to jelly. Nate's back was facing me, and it appears that they were engrossed in their own conversation. Just as I was about to escape from there, Nate bent down and kissed Kelly on her lips. I felt my heart shatter, and I stopped short. What was I thinking? I never had a chance with him right from the very start anyway. Fairy tales were crap. I should have known. After a short while, Nate broke away from her, shifting a little to whisper something in her ear. I couldn't read the expression on Kelly's face. Her eyes seemed dark, tinged with raw pain, but her lips were set in a thin line, her face stony. Her hair was curled perfectly, and she looked like an angel. I could never compete with her, could I?

Then she looked up slightly, and I froze as her eyes seemed to land on me. Nate started to turn around, and it was then that I realised that I was still standing here, at the same spot. A spot where Nate would be able to see me clearly once he turned around. A spot where Kelly's eyes were trained on. I tried desperately to move, but my legs just wouldn't obey me at that moment.

Shit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note: Sorry for updating so late! I've been really busy for the past week and my assessments start in two days time T_T OMG I really hate assessments! *groan* LOL anyway sorry for the extremelyyyy short chapter! I'll most probably be able to update only next week, so... Hope you guys enjoy the cliffhanger! :D Once again, thanks for your support for Night Confessions!

Cheers,

Celphia :)