Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Previously: I began walking with Lilia towards an empty table. "What was that? Nate Harrison called you his tutor and you flirted with him!" she paused, her eyes narrowing. "So the rumours were true!" "I wasn't flirting." but my stomach twisted. Was I? "You broke so many nerd rules!" An idea popped into my mind. I grinned at Lilia. "Let's prank the nerd club."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Slow down. What's the rush?" Nate asked in his usual laid back manner.

"I've told you, I have stuff on later, I can't be late again!" I shouted to him anxiously, but I could tell it was falling on deaf ears. Exasperated, I pulled him along roughly by the hand towards his room. Over the last few tutoring sessions, I had sort of familiarised myself with his house. Well, you could say that I was sort of a snooper.

"Hm, babe, if you like me you could just tell me straight in the face. Besides, I never knew you were one of those who liked to take the initiative." He raised his eyebrow suggestively at me, an arrogant smirk slowly spreading across his face. I instantly let go of his hand, shooting him a glare.

"First of all, ew. And secondly, could you please move faster?" I gritted my teeth to stop myself from spouting out vulgarities at him.

Nate had been called up by Miss Thompson to redo his literature essay after school, and I had had no choice but to wait for him to finish. Phew. At least we were able to start the tutoring session on time after much hollering at Nate to drive and walk faster. I couldn't afford to be late for my night job again. The last time after attending the nerd club meeting, I had been really late for it after putting on makeup and stuff, and the manager had even threatened to cut my salary. I couldn't let him do that. I didn't use this salary just to keep myself alive. It kept mom alive too.

"I'm hungry." Nate grumbled, bringing me back to reality. We had barely even looked at the practice questions on the textbook and yet here he was complaining that he was hungry? I swear, the boy sure had issues.

"Well, deal with it! You can just eat after we're done here."

"Aww, come on! We still have plenty of time till the evening. Plus, I didn't see you in the cafeteria during lunch. I know you haven't eaten lunch yet, I saw you helping Mr Grant in one of the classrooms." Nate pleaded, pouting. Damn, he was just too cute! Glancing at my watch, I found that we still had quite some time left.

"Fine, but only if you do the sums while eating!" I compromised. Such a stubborn mule. God, if not for the money, I wouldn't be putting myself through such hell.

"Great! Let's go." Nate sprung up from his seat and led me towards the kitchen, taking out a frying pan from one of the many drawers in the huge kitchen.

"Wait, you actually cook? I thought you were just gonna order takeaway or something." I exclaimed, surprised that a jock, and a very rich one at that, could actually cook.

"Well as a matter of fact, I do cook for myself. The food outside's just too boring. I prefer home cooked meals. Fried omelette okay with you?" He asked, flashing me a smile after seeing my shocked face.

"Uh. Sure." As Nate started frying the omelette, I kept myself occupied by looking around his living room. There were pictures everywhere; on the walls, coffee tables. Most of them had Nate in it, they were like a mini biography of Nate's life up till now, as well as a man whom I assumed was Nate's father. But I noticed that although there were a few pictures of a woman, who was probably Nate's mother, she only appeared in pictures where Nate was still very young, maybe about five or six years old. Then she just stopped appearing in the pictures altogether.

"Hey Nate, why does your mom only appear in pictures where you're still so young?" I asked, out of curiosity.

"She um. She left." Nate replied in a low voice, after a few moments of silence.

"Oh." It was all I had managed to say after hearing his answer. Turns out Nate's life wasn't so perfect after all.

I made my way back into the kitchen, wanting to help Nate with the cooking. He was just too damn slow. Standing behind him, I craned my neck, trying to look over his shoulders to see what he was doing.

Little did I expect him to turn around abruptly and crash into me. I lost my balance, and before I knew it, I was falling towards the ground. Sigh, why did I always end up on fallen the floor when I'm with him? Bracing myself for the impact of the fall, I suddenly felt two strong arms grab me by the waist and pulled me upwards, effectively stopping the fall.

Heaving a sigh of relief, I looked up to see Nate staring intently at me. Our eyes locked for a second. I swallowed, feeling my blood fizzing and my heart pounding. Could he hear my heartbeat? Thump. Thump. Thump.

Nate cleared his throat, pulling me upright and looked away.

"Uh... I think the omelette's done already. Could you help me get two plates?" Nate asked, busying himself with the food once again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After finishing up our omelettes, we started our tuition session proper. And I have to say Nate's cooking was really good. But he didn't have to know that. Just as I took out my folder which contained all my school stuff, a piece of paper dropped out from it. Nate turned to look at it the same time I did. My eyes widened, realising that it was actually part of a map of the school.

"What's this?"

"Oh, nothing." I shrugged. I opened his algebra textbook, and pointed at a random question. "Solve this."

Nate narrowed his eyes at me. "Uh huh. Seriously, what's this?"

I laughed nervously. "Shut up and do your math. It's none of your business."

Nate raised an eyebrow-- a silent challenge. He propped his legs up on his table, on top of the textbook, and folded his arms behind his head. I forced my eyes to look away at his flexing muscles. "Not till you tell me why, exactly, you have part of a school map with you. And don't say it's because you get lost or something."

I clenched my jaw. He was so infuriating! "Fine! It's for a prank, okay?"

Nate rubbed his jaw with his right hand thoughtfully. "Nerds actually play pranks? It's about the nerd club, isn't it?" He looked at me dead in the eyes.

I muttered something about him using his brain for all the wrong things, nodding at him unwillingly. Nate grinned cheekily.

"Oh well, then, a prank, you say? Count me in!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note: A thousand thank-you hugs and kisses to all readers and fans! Please vote, comment and maybe fan? <3<3"

Cheers,

Celphia :D