Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Previously: I did my usual, dancing seductively towards the long, metal pole. Wolf-whistles and cheers and claps were thunderous. I hated this part of me so much. I wished I could just stop doing this. But I couldn't. Every night, I would fall asleep, wishing that everything in my life had been nothing but nightmares, and I would some how wake up one day, and everything bad would just disappear. Dreamland. The only place with no hate. The only place with no fear. The only place where I was truly happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, I trudged to class, my eyes swollen and puffy from the crying last night. But I had put on a cap, to save my image. It would just be totally out of place for a nerd to be crying. People usually thought of us as calculation machines who kept all our emotions to ourselves. Hello? We may be hard workers but we are actual people. And nerds do cry too. Well at least I do.

As I walked quietly into class, keeping my head down and hidden by my cap, I prayed hard that Lilia wouldn't notice my puffy eyes and start questioning me again. Carrying my large bundle of textbooks, I tried as hard as I could to get to my seat inconspicuously, which was kinda hard to do. As I slid down into a seat at the back of class, I heaved a sigh of relief, thankfully no one had taken notice of my red, swollen eyes.

Just as lessons were about to start, the same jock from yesterday dashed into class. I think Lilia mentioned his name was Nathan or something. Nick? Neil? Nate? Oh whatever. Why should I bother with that jerk's name when he probably doesn't even know mine?

"Mr Harrison, could you please take a seat quickly and refrain from disrupting my lesson?" Miss Thompson shot him a stern glare, which was met by his playful expression.

"Sure thing babe." He replied jokingly, giving her his signature wink. Miss Thompson looked a little taken aback, but her face soon softened and she even seemed flustered for a while there. Well, who wouldn't? He had been blessed with a swoon worthy face, and his wink just made him seem even more hot. Oh god. Focus. He's a jock. A jerk. Stop fantasising about him. Breaking away from my thoughts, I saw him scanning the class before confidently making his way towards the back of the class. Wait. The back?

He walked towards me and plonked down on the seat next to me whispering into my ear, "Hope you don't mind, every other seat in the classroom's been taken." Too shocked to reply, I simply nodded my head in response, trying hard to focus on the lesson instead. But I soon found that it was impossible. For one, I kept feeling his eyes on the back of my head as I stared blankly at the whiteboard in front of me, trying desperately to process what Miss Thompson was saying. Why wouldn't he stop staring at me?!

"Hey, so um I didn't really catch your name yesterday. I'm Nate. And you're...?" Just minutes into the lesson, he leaned forward and started whispering to me in a low voice.

"I'm Abigail." I answered, keeping my eyes trained on the whiteboard.

"Cool. So about yesterday, I offered you a job to tutor me. You still keen on that?"

"Maybe, maybe not." Honestly I had forgotten about the whole tutoring thing after reaching home yesterday night.

"I'll give you five hundred per hour." He offered nonchalantly.

My eyes widened in shock. Five hundred per hour just for tutoring him? Boy, he must be loaded! Just as I was about to agree to his proposition, I started to get suspicious.

"Why me? There are so many other nerds in this school. Why choose me?"

"Because, out of all the other nerds, you're the only one that dares to talk to me. And I only like to be taught by pretty faces. I see the potential in you. A little makeover, and you'll be as sexy as the other cheerleaders." He answered matter-of-factly, with an arrogant smirk plastered on his face.