Chapter 2

All of the doors were pulled open as the four very large men, breathing heavily, slipped inside. The dark-haired one who shot the dog in the driver's seat, a bald man in the passenger's seat, a brown-haired man in the backseat to my left, and a blonde-haired one in the backseat to my right.

"Come on. Let's get the fuck out of here." The bald man growled breathlessly. It only made me want to start panicking even more when I saw the black assault rifle sitting oh so casually across his lap. The engine suddenly ripped as sirens began floating up in the distance. A moment later, we were speeding down the gravel road at a speed that made me want to throw up. I didn't even think it was possible for my car to move that fast. 

Through all of this, it did not even register in my mind that I should probably try to stop these idiots from driving off with my car and  me because I was freaking out. When big bad men steal your car and kidnap you in the process while cops chased them, I couldn't just wave and say hello like they were my best friends.

Because they weren't. They were scary-looking things with really nice haircuts and guns who would probably laugh at my missing left eyebrow before killing me.

My heart was pounding wildly. I sat frozen in the backseat, my face pale from shock. Blind panic ran through my head, making the situation even worse. The two men who were crushed besides me had guns on their laps and ski masks pulled up to their forehead. I was too scared to look anywhere but straight ahead as the car hurtled down the gravel road at a speed that was surely breaking a few laws.

"Shit, I didn't expect it to go like that." The man to my left said in an angry voice.

Oh my God, they didn't even notice  me.

Maybe it was because the car was really dark. I couldn't very clearly make out the features of the two men I was crushed between. Shadows kept on dancing, always retreating into the darkness. I suppose, since I was so tiny compared to these huge guys, it was hard to notice me. Still, how could they not? How do four living, breathing humans not notice a fellow living, breathing human in such an enclosed space such as a car? They were too interested in their conversation. I didn't know whether that was a blessing or a curse.

"Angelo was a rat, I told you!" The brown-haired man raged quietly. "What happened in Vegas was because of him, Romeo lost his whole business! Man, I told you guys. It was a stupid risk, we should have found someone else. Angelo was bullshit. His story didn't add up from the beginning."

"Excuse me." I said meekly, my heart pounding. My voice came out in a high squeak, barely a whisper.

"Angelo Bentoli is Romeo's right hand man." The driver argued breathlessly back. In the rear view mirror, I saw his dark green eyes pierce straight ahead. He was very good-looking, with a fluffy crew cut and a scar on the corner of his red lips. Oh my God, did I really just check him out? "Jonah checked Angelo out on the system. Obviously there was something wrong. What happened tonight can't happen again. We got too close, fuck!"

Angelo Bentoli? I heard about Angelo Martin on the radio just a few moments ago...

"Romeo is dead." The man to my right spoke up gruffly.

 The driver, and also seemingly the leader of these four men, glared at him. In the darkness, I don't think he saw me. I was sweating through my jacket. They were so big! I was suffocating between the two. "Romeo is alive, I can promise you that. He faked death once, he'll do it again. Romeo didn't escape Guantanamo just to die by the hands of some fucking cops. He's smarter than that." His voice turned dark with frustration.

I cleared my throat. When that caught no one's attention, I took a leap of faith that these men wouldn't kill me mercilessly (it was a small leap, anyway) and gently tugged on the jacket sleeve of the man to my right. He leaned forward to talk to the driver, ignoring me.