Chapter 13

After two more hours of driving, we finally arrived at our destination. The time inside the car was spent with boredom and awkward tension that we could all feel, including the driver. He drove away after Cage finished telling him something. A very large stack of money may have also exchanged hands during their conversation but everyone else ignored it, so I tried to as well. 

I had to keep reminding myself who they were. They were the Chicago Crows, a dangerous mafia with international criminal activity and the kings of underground illegal arms dealing and the drug ring. They killed numerous people and corrupted the lives of many important politicians. They were billionaires who had stacks of money and boxes full of guns. They were monsters, fiends with global records that would sentence them straight to Alcatraz.

The place Cage so desperately wanted to go was very dangerous for them, considering who they were. It was a tall, metallic silver hotel building in the middle of the city that was so tall I could barely see where it ended and where the sky began.

"Micheal, this isn't safe." I caught up to him. Nick and Heath had already disappeared through the double doors. Cage was walking ahead, not at all concerned with the fact that he was a wanted criminal mastermind and there were people walking around. "What if someone recognizes you guys?"

"Relax, November." Micheal chuckled softly, holding the door open. "No one knows what we look like. Besides, Cage has...an agreement with the manager of this building. Trust him. He knows what he's doing. We've been playing games with the CIA for ten years. This is what we do, November. This is the life of Cage Vickers. He's twisted, but he's brilliant."

"I just don't want to be associated with any of you. I want to go back to my life in Ivey with a story that my sister will believe. I'm not going to sit down over dinner and explain to her that I was accidentally kidnapped by one of the most dangerous..." I trailed off, catching sight of the sheer complexity of the building. 

The outside was pretty, but the inside was even prettier. The place was empty but that made it even more amazing to look at. The lobby was in a theme of gold and deep purple, with purple plush carpets and shimmery golden curtains that caught the light of the twilight that was falling over Chicago. The ceiling was dome-shaped, reaching up so high that I couldn't make out the paintings drawn on them. There was a seal on one of the walls that read Luna Lofts with a silhouette of a crow beneath it.

Wow. That was so subtle. 

Cage appeared beside me and captured one of my wrists in his large hand. A tingle went through my stomach with the unexpected skin contact. He waited as Nick ruffled through the reception desk and gathered a couple sets of keys. He threw one to Heath and one to Cage.

"What are we doing?" I asked curiously as Cage led me to an elevator. It was a tight fit with the five of us. They were all enormous. I rested my cheek against Cage's arm, trying to suppress a yawn. I must've looked real dumb trying to do that, because you can't really suppress yawns and I yawned anyways, so really it was a wasted effort. The exhaustion was finally getting to me as the adrenaline of the day was wearing off. 

"Romeo cancelled." Cage announced out loud, but it seemed as though I was the only one who needed to hear it. His henchmen, as I decided to call the lovely Micheal, Heath, and Nick, were always synchronized with his brain waves. "He'll be here tomorrow morning."

Slowly, the elevator began to make its way up. After a couple of floors, the elevator stopped. The doors opened, and I walked exactly two and a half steps out before Cage grabbed the back of my jacket and pulled me back in. Nick and Micheal stepped out into the hallway. There was a window at the end of the hall with a stunning view of the city.