Chapter 46

"But..." I stuck my finger into the air, pausing for dramatic effect. "...what if it's not Romeo?"

"November, it's him."

"That could have been anybody's helicopter."

"It's Romeo."

"But maybe it's not."

"It is." Cage repeated.

"But maybe it's not-''

"It is."

"But-"

"It is."

I frowned at Cage distastefully. Well, he did seem sure enough that it was Romeo. But what was Romeo doing here in Chicago? Other than trying to kill Cage and I, of course. I thought that it was always the killer clowns doing the dirty work. Maybe Romeo wanted to end it himself. I was angry, and that anger made me irrational.

I still hadn't told Fern the truth of what happened to our parents. I was dreading the conversation, seeing my feelings mimicked on her face again. With Fern's temper, there was no telling what she'd do or how she would react. I hadn't had the best reaction either, but given the fact that I learned all of this before a group of crazy killer clowns attacked us, I thought I handled the news pretty decently.

Cage reached for me again. "We need to go."

I backed away before he could get a good grip. "We need to talk about something first."

If looks could kill, I'd be dead right now. Or at least hospitalized. Cage exhaled sharply, seemingly trying to maintain his composure. "We can talk all you want, but that needs to happen later. Right now, I need to get you and your sister out of Chicago. You guys are Romeo's main target, not me. He's here to kill you and I am not letting that happen. Do not argue with me, November. I will tie you up and force you out of this city if it becomes necessary. For fuck's sake, let's go." He growled.

"No."

"No?"

"No." I repeated firmly. "I'm not leaving. I have something to say to Romeo and I'm not leaving until he's heard it. And then you can kill him. Do whatever you want, Cage, but let me have this one thing...I just need to-"

"What are you going to do, princess?" His eyes flashed dangerously. "Are you gonna ask for a damn apology? Are you gonna try to kill him by yourself? Are you gonna sit down with the fucker, have a cup of coffee, and have a nice little talk about why killing is wrong? Because that's not happening. Get that out of your head right now. We have about twenty minutes to find everyone and get you out of this city. No more discussions." He reached over and clamped an iron fist around my arm. "Let's go."

"One more thing-"

"This conversation is over." Cage growled. He began dragging me towards the door.

Even though a part of me knew Cage was doing this for my well being, I couldn't stop the little flutter of anger. There was something about being manhandled that went straight to my gut. The way he dismissed my opinion like they weren't even worth listening to was infuriating. I could deal with Romeo just fine. I didn't need Cage's protection and I most certainly did not want to leave the city for the man who killed my parents.

If Cage wanted me to stand by his side for the rest of my life, I'd make myself one hell of a companion.

Yanking myself out of his grip, I didn't think twice about making my great escape. The one that I should have done a lot sooner, you know. Cage didn't have time to react and I didn't give him any. Flashing a smirk, I slipped under Cage's outreached arm and dashed away, going down the steps two at a time to gain more ground.