Chapter 5

I backed up as the helicopter arrived. With it came a monstrous wind that pierced me through my thin clothes. Micheal noticed me shivering and I didn't miss the glare he gave to Cage, who was diligently ignoring us both. But I had a feeling that he knew of the high strung feelings in the air because I felt a hand gently touch my lower back, silencing every thought of escape.

The helicopter landed in the middle of the rooftop, barely ten feet from where we stood. It was a big black machine with no visible name stamped on it. The blades didn't stop whirring. Through the window, the pilot said something to the man beside him, who jumped out a second later and opened the helicopter door for us.

"Come on." Cage gently began to coax me along beside him, and I instantly froze.

They wanted me to come with them.

God, the expectations. Cage was used to getting his way but I sure as hell was not going to be meek about it like the rest. I'd rather give up Internet access forever than leave the state. This had gone too far. I cursed myself for not doing anything sooner when I had the chance. There had to be a way out of this. When Cage tried to drag me to the open helicopter door, I freaked out.

"No! What the-" I turned to him, furious. "That was not part of the plan! Cage. Cage, you are not serious. You can't do this to me!" I wailed. He merely stood back, watching. "No. No. I refuse. I am not leaving Ivey, Cage-"

"You will." His voice was like the winter air, holding all speculation that I was to go along with this.

I shook my head adamantly, resisting the motion when Cage lost his temper and tried to shove me forward. Without thinking, I raised my hand and swung it towards his face. Unfortunately for me, Cage had more experience than I did with this sort of thing and quickly ducked out of the way. Instead of connecting with his face, I connected to empty air.

"Are you kidding me?" I shouted, slapping his hands away. Heath blocked the door and the only way out was the balcony, and I wasn't desperate enough to jump off a twenty story building. "Cage, stop this!" My voice could barely be heard over the roar of the blades. "Let me go! I promised you I wouldn't tell anyone about this. I'm not coming with you!"

Cage seemed to be completely serious about this. My eyes itched with tears when he pulled out a black gun from his coat. Backing away, I noticed Micheal watching sadly. Nick was searching through the bags for something.

"Get in." Cage's voice was dark with anger. He grabbed my arm again, and again I tried to fight out. "I don't care what you want. You're coming with us. Now get in before I make you."

"Cage-"

"Listen to me." Cage growled. "I've had a long night. Things don't always work out the way we plan. We didn't mean to bring you into this. But you are. You did get involved and now there are things I need to take care of. Witnesses are a very dangerous thing for people like us. Now, I promised I wouldn't kill you. That is more than merciful."

"Merciful?" I repeated with shock. "Merciful would be letting me go! I want to forget this as much as you do. I don't care about the police, I don't care about ruining your empire and being a hero to the world! This is my home, Cage. You're not taking me-"

Cage's eyes darkened. "There are three ways this can go, and each will begin with your choice. First, you come with us and we will come to a compromise peacefully. Second, you fight and throw a little girly fit, and end up hurting yourself more than you hurt me. And your last option? I kill you right here and dump your lifeless body into the ocean."

"I won't tell anyone!" I shouted in frustration.

"And I won't take that chance. There are many people who would love to see me, sweetheart."

"Yeah, well....I'm not one of them."

"Cute." Cage muttered darkly. "We're wasting time, let's go." 

I ripped myself from his grip and made a dash towards the door. Heath raised his gun in warning. However, I didn't even count five steps before a pair of arms wrapped around my waist, knocking out my breath from the force. I twisted the same ankle again. Pain and fear coursed through my body, making the tears fall from my eyes.

"Let me go!" I shouted angrily as Cage pulled me back. His height and strength was no match for mine and suddenly I found myself looking into furious green eyes. But I wasn't going to go with them without putting up a fight. Ivey was my home and this was my life. This had turned from silly to dangerous. Cage promised a compromise. He never said he would take me out of the state.

I threw another punch and this time it made contact with his face. But to Cage, it almost had no effect. He grunted and turned away for a second, but didn't break the grip on my waist. Fighting back angrily, I managed to pry his hands off by scratching his bleeding palm with my nails. Cage cursed furiously and caught me again by the wrist with his good hand.

I was crying now, a full blown out temper tantrum. The helicopter was just a few feet from where we were. The pilot and his friend sat patiently in the cockpit, not even bothering to help. I could barely fight back out when Cage regained his composure and pulled me against his chest. His fingers pulled my hair back, exposing my neck.

Nick appeared in front of us as I struggled desperately. He had an injection. I knew what was about to happen and even though I fought, Cage's power was no match to mine. He held me down as Nick jabbed the needle right into my neck, draining whatever was inside to my blood.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart." I felt Cage whisper gently into my ear as my retaliations lessened with my energy level. Whatever was inside the injection was very strong and had an instant effect. My head was clouding with watery images that I couldn't make out. 

A moment later, I felt my legs go limp. Trying to stay awake, I felt Cage guide me into the helicopter. Too weak to fight back, I could only mumble a soft protest and something about Fern as the rest of them climbed in. Cage's fingers wrapped around my wrist and stayed, a source of comfort I hated. The sedative Nick had won in the end. Barely conscious, I slumped against Cage's arm as the helicopter began to rise.

The last thing I could remember was Fern and the smell of coconut shampoo.