Chapter 37

This was the most awkward dinner I've ever had.

Fern was breastfeeding her daughter and eating spaghetti at the same time, Cage was desperately avoiding looking at anyone, Nick was staring at his plate full of untouched food, and Heath was on his phone. I was trying to survive through it all without moving. It was deathly silent. Someone needed to break the silence but no one wanted to be the first one to speak.

Except for my lovely sister, Fern.

She swallowed and looked at Cage. "You didn't have sex with my sister, did you?"

I choked on the meatball in my mouth as Cage's face turned from surprise to amusement. Coughing awkwardly, I glared at Fern. Now, what kind of table conversation was this? And how, exactly, did two normal sisters become the unexpected hostesses of a dinner with three globally famous criminals? That's the kind of question that Fern should be asking. Not the diddly daddle that happened in the bedroom. Not that anything ever happened in the bedroom between Cage and I- never mind.

Cage looked at me, smirking. "Strangely enough, no."

"Why is that strange? What does the 'strangely enough' have to do with anything?" I frowned.

"Garlic bread, anyone?" Nick asked uncomfortably, holding up the basket.

"Absolutely nothing, princess." 

"Cage." Heath said, glancing up.

Cage ignored him. I don't think he heard Heath at all, and if he did, Cage didn't acknowledge it. "Whatever you think I'm implying, November, you're wrong about it. Your sister asked a simple question and I gave a simple response. There's nothing more to it."

I glared at him. "You had a brothel in Germany. How did that work out for you?"

"November!" Fern exclaimed.

Cage was trying hard to suppress his anger. It was the little things I noticed. The way his eyes flashed dangerously, the way the muscles in his jaw clenched. He pressed his lips together and fixed me with a cold glare. Nick put down the basket of bread and frowned. "That does not concern you."

I stabbed a meatball angrily. "Of course it doesn't. So why don't you just take your angry little self back to Chicago? If this doesn't concern me, why did you stay here Cage? Why not just drop me off at the door and drive away if it doesn't concern me? Because your personal life shouldn't matter to me, right? Even though you seem to think it's perfectly okay to involve yourself into mine."

Cage let his fork clatter against the plate. His piercing green eyes stared down my courage.

"Cage, we really need to talk." Heath interrupted.

Fern stared at Heath. "You look really familiar."

My anger with Cage instantly died down when I heard Fern say that. So it was true. It was Heath that saved us that night. Why didn't Fern ever tell me? There was no way she could have said that about Heath if she hadn't seen him before. However, the distraction was short-lived. I turned back to Cage, my mouth dry. 

"Is there something you would like to say, November?" Cage growled.

"Oh, there are lots of things I would like to say." I snapped back. "But none that are appropriate for table conversation."

"Would you like to discuss this somewhere else then?"

I gave Cage my sweetest smile. "No, fuck you."

"November!" Fern gasped. And then, after silently contemplating something, she continued. "My daughter's name is Diana, by the way. I just wanted to let everyone know so the author doesn't have to keep referring to it as 'the baby' because my daughter is not a static character and will, in fact, reappear in the story on some random chapter."