Chapter 41

His fingers rested gently on my palm. Without thinking, I turned my hand. Cage's thumb brushed gently over the scar. I wrapped my fingers around his hand. The body heat that my hand gave off was deeply magnified by his cold skin. Cage's hand fit to perfectly on my own, every crevice and indent matching somewhere with mine. Big to small, warm to cold, there was no denying that something, I don't know what but something...something always happened when Cage touched me. He pulled his hand away.

Cage watched me for a second, his face passive. He did that quite a lot, I noticed. Watching me as if I might break. I never knew what he thought when he saw me. I could never guess what kind of things went on behind those dark green eyes. Cage Vickers didn't wear his heart on his sleeve because he didn't have one.

His hands reached for my own again.

"Oh!" I gasped as a flash of pain went through my broken wrist, pulling them out of his grip. Cage had grabbed it none too gently. His eyes flashed dangerously and he grabbed me again, this time by the elbow.

"What happened?" He asked, staring at my bruised wrist.

I tried to pull myself away but his grip was too strong. Cuddling my wrist against my chest, I gave Cage an innocent look. "Nothing."

"Nothing?" He questioned darkly.

"Yes- ouch!" Cage pressed the tips of his fingers right over the part of my hand where the pain was greatest to prove his point. I winced and pulled myself away, and this time he let me.

"I asked you a question, November." Now that the formalities were out of the way, Cage was back to his cold, domineering ways.

I frowned at his tone. "I tried to slip my hand out of the handcuffs."

"They handcuffed you?"

"No Cage, they let me run around and play with their guns." I rolled my eyes and placed the phone back on its holder as Heath entered the room. He was free of any blood and was dressed in his usual sharp black suit. I noticed that Cage matched his outfit quite well. The Crows always dressed like they were going to a business meeting except they looked a bit more...dangerous and fitted.

Cage thankfully decided not to pursue my sarcastic tone. He looked up at Heath and then back to me. Heath didn't look at all surprised at Cage's sudden arrival. He walked over to where we stood and slipped a piece of paper into Cage's hand. It looked like a photograph of some sorts. Before I could get a better look, Cage glanced at it before folding it up and shoving it into one of his pockets.

"What happened?" Cage asked, his voice low even though we were the only three people in the lobby.

"Romeo happened." Heath said, looking back and forth between us. "The clowns back at the carnival. His men tracked us down, Romeo must have access to the GPS system on the chips because there was no way they could know we would be in Ivey. Unless Romeo has November's files, he couldn't have known that."

Heath stopped and looked at me. Alarmed, I straightened up. Should I add on to his story or something? Before I could start babbling, Cage beat me to it. "Heath, why didn't you kill them? And why was November dragged into this?"

"When I stepped outside-" I cut off whatever Heath was about to say. "-I was on the porch. Heath saw me there and we were talking until Rainbow Clown-"

"Who the fuck is Rainbow Clown?" Cage asked with disbelief.

"The clown with the rainbow hair." I said. "-Anyways, they interrupted us-"

"-They shot me with a fucking bear tranquilizer, man." Heath sighed.

"You went down before November did?" Cage turned to him, sounding a bit angry. "Why didn't you call for help? We were right inside the house!"