Chapter 43

Cage was gone for two whole days.

And in those two days, my condition got worse. The veins turned from numb to burning. My neck felt like it was on fire, and I spent every moment awake with an ice pack on my shoulder resting like a parrot. A very cold parrot, that is. The blue veins hadn't grown, but were darker. It would have been kinda fascinating if I didn't feel like my skin was on fire.

Heath told Fern what happened, and the fit she had was one for the records. I was actually hoping that Cage wouldn't return so he didn't have to face the wrath of my sister, because she had a few certain colourful words to say to Cage and with his temper, I knew it wasn't going to end well.

Strangely enough, I actually began to miss Cage after the first night he was gone. I felt a bit better with him gone, but also a whole lot worse despite knowing how stupid that was. During those two days, Heath also didn't show up. He only came by once, and I was sleeping at that time so I didn't see him. Nick stayed behind, having secret conversations with Fern behind closed doors.

We were staying at the hotel. I was teetering on the edge of going to the hospital and getting help there if Cage was a no show. I didn't want to die. A strange side effect to the sedative was a low energy level. For two whole days, I sat in one of the junior suites and cried my eyes out.

It was nearing the end of my time limit when Cage did arrive, and boy, what an entrance he made.

Actually, it wasn't quite the entrance that was so memorable. It was what happened afterwards, as soon as one Cage Vickers stepped through the lobby door.

"Fuck you!"

Bewildered green eyes met Fern's furious ones. Cage paused at the doorway, looking stunned. Nick was by Fern's side, ready to hold her back. Heath finally decided to join in on the fun. He was sitting beside me on the ledge of the strange sculpture, cradling little Diana in his arms. He was grumpy because Fern wouldn't let him smoke around the baby.

With matching black pajama shorts and shirt and blue veins, was me. As soon as Cage walked in through the door, I felt a surge of anger go through me. For the first time in 48 hours, I felt my energy come back.

He looked pretty as ever, with windblown hair and flashing green eyes. Always the charismatic and cold-hearted killer that Cage Vickers was. His eyes trailed past Fern and over to me, where I sat next to Heath. His jaw clenched when he noticed how close we were sitting together, and a small bubble of amusement grew in my stomach. When was he going to drop the affectionate act and leave me alone? What more could I provide Cage and what use did I have to him anymore?

The fact that Cage went all the way to Italy to get the antidote warmed my heart. But what he did to get that destroyed me. Just the thought of Cage being with another girl crushed my dignity.

"November, come with me please." Cage said. His voice was low and hoarse, like he had a bad cold. Frowning, I stood up. Almost immediately, a wave of nausea hit me. Heath looked up, his lips pursed. It took me a moment to get rid of the stars behind my eyes. Cage was waiting for me in the guest lounge, a pretty room with lots of chrome and marble.

On the black marble coffee table was a needle injection.

"Hi."

"Hello."

"How are you, November?"

"Oh, I'm fine." I said dryly. "You know, other than the fact that I'm about to die, I feel great. How are you, Cage?"

He didn't react to my tone of voice like he usually would have. Cage's eyes travelled to my neck, which was effectively covered by my black shirt. I felt better if I didn't see the veins. "Come here."