Chapter 14

"I missed my test in History yesterday." I told Cage as we unpacked the duffel bag Micheal had bought up five minutes earlier. There were lots of rifles in the bag, including cases of bullets and little vials of gunpowder. There was also a huge stack of money wrapped in plastic. I reached into the bag and pulled out a burner phone, throwing it onto the bed with the rest of the illegal things. Every single item in there was black market material, save for a bag of Jolly Ranchers, for some strange reason.

Cage had been quiet for the last few minutes, unpacking the other bag quietly. He was swiping through a white tablet now, looking at a whole bunch of pictures with a man that had a target mark around his head. Real subtle. 

"You're halfway across the country and you're worried about school?" His voice was thick with amusement. Cage turned off the tablet and placed it by the bedside table, giving me a weird look as if I was the absurd one here.

"Yes!" I threw yet another burner phone onto the bed. God, how many did Cage need? And why exactly were there so many weapons and bullets? Who was he planning on killing? There was absolutely no reason to own three semi automatic rifles. "I'm already struggling to pass that class. That final was worth half of my grade. I need to get all 8 credits to graduate, Cage. Being here isn't exactly helping."

"You're 17, right?"

"Yes."

"And you can't turn on a propane grill without burning off your eyebrow." Cage smirked. I was about to protest but he continued making fun of me. "You were wearing superhero pajamas and you worried about school even though your life is in constant danger. You love Disney movies that were meant for children and tried to teach Nick how to sew a flower. Are you sure you're 17?" 

"Your family tree must be a cactus because everyone on it is a prick." I snapped back without thinking. Cage's eyes were one of amusement, thankfully. Unthankfully, he was an asshole. Cage reached across the bed and grabbed something, and then threw it to me.

Upon instinct, I caught it.

It was a hand grenade.

Shrieking, I dropped it and almost tripped over my own two feet as I tried to scramble away. It was only when Cage started laughing that I realized the pin wasn't pulled. Frowning, I straightened up and smoothed my hair down, trying to act as if nothing happened.

"You suck.'' I frowned as Cage chuckled lightly again.

"The only reason I've kept you alive this long is because you amuse me." Cage responded, still smirking. I couldn't tell if he was joking and it worried me very much. Sighing, I dumped the rest of the duffel bag contents onto the bed and took a seat, cringing as a bullet rolled off the bed and touched my hand.

The bedroom had an enormous window that took up half a wall, providing a different view to the city. I was still mystified at the view. The king-sized bed had black silk sheets and white pillows and the carpet was tan-coloured. My favourite part was the sheer white canopy that hung above the bed. There was an ensuite bathroom. That was all I had come across. The other rooms were locked and Cage was too lazy to show me the rest of the loft.

It made me realize how insignificant I was to Cage Vickers or to the whole world. I was just a normal person from a small town leading a normal life. The Crows were powerful, infamous criminals and the entire world knew their name. I didn't matter. My life was valuable, but only to me. What Cage said was true. I was nothing but an inconvenience to them.

Chicago was beautiful, just like Cage. No wait, not like Cage- okay, maybe he was attractive and maybe I was just a little bit attracted to him. But I wasn't about to fall for a criminal, especially one as powerful as him. I couldn't describe how I felt with words. Things were so...different. Everything had changed over the course of one night and I was still trying to catch up, to fathom all the events that had happened. It was overwhelming.