Chapter 40

Wattpad is being a butt so I would like to apologize in advance for any malfunctions that might appear on my current chapters. I'm trying the best I can with this new layout.

"What now?"

"What? Why are you asking me, Heath? You know I'm useless in these situations."

"Don't get smart with me, sweetheart."

"You shut up, you ugly bread crumb."

"You're intolerable!" Heath muttered. His eyes flashed angrily from me to the Sears Tower again. When he noticed it at first, he nearly threw a fit. And now, Heath's knuckles were bleeding because he thought it was perfectly okay to punch the brick building we were standing against.

I was just as much in shock as Heath was. Out of all places, I never thought I'd be back in Chicago. As far as I was concerned back at the restaurant, we were supposedly still in Ivey. But Chicago, dammit. Right back to where it all started.

Questions flittered through my head, none of which had answers. How did Romeo's men manage to drag us to Chicago? And why here? What was in Chicago that could benefit Romeo in any way? He lived in a palace in Italy, as far as I knew. 

And Cage was still in Ivey. We had no way of contacting them halfway across the country. They had no idea where Heath and I were. It was frustrating, honestly. I had just gotten back home and everything was starting to be okay, but then this had to happen and now we were stranded in a huge city where Romeo's friends were going to start searching for us soon. These kidnappings were really getting to be annoying.

"Shit. Fuck. Damn. Shit-" Heath paced up and down on the sidewalk, cursing his mouth off. "Fuck this, man. I'm so fucking done. What the fuck. Dammit. Stupid motherfuckers! I'm so done. I'm over this. Fuck him. Fuck it. Damn this goddamn city-"

"Stop!" I whispered nervously as his actions caught the attention of several bystanders. Heath was covered in blood and it didn't make an innocent sight for anyone. Where we stood didn't completely hide us from view. We were easy targets if Romeo's men decided to come by. I grabbed Heath by the arm and dragged him to the back of the building. It provided just a bit more privacy from the open streets.

"I hate this city. I'm going to kill every last one of 'em." Heath snapped, ignoring me. He was in his own little world, building up an anger that would soon explode. "Oh, he's fucking dead. As soon as I get my hands on that bastard, he's so fucking dead. We can't spend the rest of our lives looking over our shoulders for that fucker. I'm gonna snap his fucking neck-"

"Stop!" I repeated, much for firmly this time. Reaching out, I grabbed Heath's arm and dragged him over to me. With his stature against mine, I could barely move him at all. "Calm down. Let's think this through in a rational way."

"Get your hand off my arm or I'll kill you."

Frowning, I pushed Heath away. He went back to pacing and muttering death threats under his breath. I had half a mind to ask if he was talking about Cage or Romeo, but I was still intimidated enough by his anger that I didn't. Stepping away, I glanced around at our surroundings.

We were in the back parking lot of some fast food chain store. Buildings and skyscrapers decorated the skyline as it quickly turned darker and stars began peeking through the clouds. The familiar guttural feeling of being back in Chicago made my stomach twist with fear. Without Cage, I felt even more vulnerable.

"Heath!" I called with a bit of annoyance. Other than beating the crap out of guys twice his size, he really was quite useless in these situations. And I thought I was the useless one. He turned towards me, glaring. "You need to calm down. You're not helping. What we need to do is find somewhere that has a phone and call Cage."