Chapter 3

Other than the great hair thing, Cage Vickers was more like some kind of chemically engineered monster that was created in a laboratory by evil scientists to take over the world. Kinda like Frankenstein but more...attractive. Cage Vickers had no emotions. No feelings, no mercy. That's what made him to dangerous. He lived without a conscience. 

As we drove further and further from Ivey, my hope of escaping lowered. Soon I was just glaring out the window, watching the trees blur past as a sense of dread became thicker. No one spoke and it helped just a little bit. Maybe they would let me go. There had to be a way to get back to Fern and settle this without any, you know...deaths.

The mere fact that they hadn't killed me was still something I was trying to comprehend. The Crows, so dangerous, so many deaths and blood of others on their hands. And yet here I was, sitting in the backseat of my car like we were going on a road trip. I didn't even like road trips, dammit. Too much roads and not enough ice cream.

Do you get it? Like rocky road ice cream because road trips involved roads and I said there wasn't enough ice cream because rocky road ice cream was a type of ice cream that had the word roads in it- never mind.

"Excuse me." I said loudly. Everyone except Cage, who was driving, had been trying to sleep until now. Jerking to attention, I found three very angry men glaring at me. Ha. If they were going to do this to me, I'd annoy the hell out of them until they paid me to leave. "Mr. Gangster, I need to pee."

"No, you don't." was Cage's deadpan reply.

I leaned forward and frowned. "What? How would you know? You don't have my bladder. My bladder is the size of a pea. A pea is honestly the size of my bladder. One time, I drank a Capri Punch, strawberry-flavored just so you know, and I kid you not, like five minutes later I had to pee. It wasn't even a full Capri Punch. There was about half of the drink left because my sister didn't want it anymore. And I didn't want to waste a Capri Punch, strawberry-flavored. Man, those things are delicious."

"Cage." The bald man muttered.

Cage didn't answer him.

I glanced around and smiled. "Hey, do you guys want to play a game? I know some great games."

"No."

"Nope."

"Are you fuckin' with me right now?" The bald man glared at me through the rear view mirror. "This girl can't be serious."

"Do you wanna build a snowman?" I offered nicely.

"Oh my God, I love that movie!" Micheal shouted with excitement. Catching the glares of his friends suddenly, his grin went away. It's like he just remembered he was a Crow, a skilled killer that most certainly spent his time doing illegal crimes, not watching Disney movies. In a more careless tone, he said, "I mean, that movies sucks."

Silence.

There seemed to be a lot of silence around them. I suppose it wasn't very gangster-y to sit around and gossip about stuff.

I almost nodded off to sleep slumped against Micheal's arm until a watery image of Fern floated into my head. Time to increase the insanity. If they thought I was insane, they'd probably let me go. No one wants to deal with a crazy seventeen year old girl, especially not members of one of the most dangerous criminal organizations in the world. They had more important things to do. I poked Micheal's arm. "Hey, ask me how my wheat fields are doing."

"How are your wheat fields doing?" Micheal replied.

"I don't have wheat fields." I looked at him like he was crazy. This was so stupid, but at least it got Cage's attention. He watched us through the rear view mirror, his lips in a thin pressed line.