Chapter 20

List! Let's make another list of all the things that were happening right now:

1) Micheal's laughter helped nothing and no one. It made the situation even worse than it already was.

2) Cage looked stunned, and then angry. Brushing the snow off his face with one gloved hand, the look of absolute murder in his beautiful green eyes was scary enough to make me want to start running for the hills. I mean, not literally. That was too much work and I'd probably start rolling back down halfway up the hill, depending on how steep this said hill was- never mind, you get the picture.

3) My fingers were turning purple with cold. I lost my entire left eyebrow. I preferred not to lose my fingers as well. Without fingers, how ever could I eat chicken nuggets?

4) Was that blood on Cage's coat? Yes, that was definitely blood. Or maybe ketchup. Maybe he was eating chicken nuggets. Or maybe he got into a fight with an animal. Or maybe he was painting a picture of an apple. Any excuse was good enough to cover up the fact that it very well may have been Jonah King's blood on Cage's coat.

5) Heath arrived with Cage but was already making a beeline for the cabin. He wasn't even fazed by the fact that his boss was smacked in the face with a snowball. I don't even think Heath cared.

6) Just kidding, that's all.

7) Seriously, stop. The list is over. 

8) Oh no, this list is getting out of control.

9) Dogs are beautiful.

As terrified as I was, I couldn't stop the little snicker that escaped my lips. He looked so silly. Utterly petrifying, but also kinda silly. What were the chances of having perfect aim at Cage's face? Almost none. I had missed every target except this unintentional one, which was pretty bad considering this was Cage Vickers and Cage Vickers doesn't get into snowball fights. Or get hit with snowballs. If I hadn't already dug my grave, I was about to now.

Awkward silence. Well, I sure as hell wasn't about to be the first one to break it.

Micheal finally got himself under control. Standing up, he brushed the snow off. Cage was still glaring at me. Bits and pieces of a very embarrassing memory floated back when I met his dark eyes. Suddenly intimidated, I tried to hide behind Nick but it didn't work out very well. He just moved away and left me out in the open, an easy target for Cage's temperamental actions.

Cage finally turned his attention away from me and to Micheal. "Did everything work out well?"

As quick as a wink, Micheal slipped away from a playful fellow to his serious, professional, criminal-y attitude. Casting a glance in my direction (I was still trying to hide behind Nick but he just kept moving away, dammit) Micheal nodded. "Fine. She wasn't much trouble."

Maybe not, but I did have a few choice words to tell Cage that would get me into trouble. Out of sheer discomfort, I kept my mouth shut and stifled my anger with silence. Shoving my numb hands into my pockets, I stared hard at the snow. 

Cage's gaze pierced right through me even though I didn't look at him. "November."

My heart thudded hard. I didn't trust myself to speak. My shoulder still ached from getting injected so suddenly, and my neck itched with the memory of his lips imprinted against soft flesh.

"Please just answer him." Micheal mumbled under his breath, making sure I heard him.

But I didn't want to answer Cage. I couldn't even bring myself to look him in the eyes after what happened, let alone carry a conversation while knowing full well that the very same man I was talking to had given me one of the best moments of my life and turned it into one that I very much wanted to forget. Seduction was one thing. But seduction that was totally fake was another.