Chapter 34

I rested my head against the car window, watching the trees blur past. Cage drove ridiculously fast. Thankfully, the roads were empty because of the weather. Rain trickled down the glass, beating on the roof of the car, and sloshing up the roads into a slippery mess. 

        I closed my eyes, feeling them burn. Sleep was nothing more than a word to me now. Every time I tried to doze off, I kept on seeing clowns dancing around the lifeless body of Micheal. Cage didn't even come to bed last night. He stayed downstairs, discussing things with Delia. I couldn't find it in me to eavesdrop on their conversation, no matter how important it might have been. Nick and Heath looked miserable. Without Micheal, things seemed empty. A part of all of us was missing.

        Early in the morning, even before the sun came up, we got on a plane after saying half-hearted goodbyes to Delia. It was still dark out as we climbed aboard on Cage's private plane again. No one really said anything during the flight back to Ivey. We were all sulking miserably over Micheal, except for Cage. He remained cold and aloof as always, barely saying anything to anyone. That was fine with me. I was done with Cage Vickers.

        I didn't ask about Romeo. I had no idea what was going to happen now. Cage promised to make Romeo suffer. That was more than I could ask for on my part. As excited as I was to see Fern again, a part of me also dreaded it. She had to know what happened to our parents. Heath seemed to avoid me. Every time I entered a room, he walked out of it. He knew that Cage told me. Even if I did have the courage to talk to Heath, what would I say? What could I say? He saved our lives.

        After the plane landed, there was a car waiting for us. Now, we were on our way back home. Cage was driving, his eyes never straying from the wet roads. The weather was as miserable as we all felt. I didn't ask how Cage knew my address and he didn't tell me. If they could track a man all the way to a different country, they could find someone's address. How stupid. The Crows were capable of anything, literally.

        After one entire hour of silence, I couldn't take it anymore. Reaching over, I switched the radio on. However, I didn't realize that the volume was up all the way. The oldies station started blaring out music. Nick and Heath were dozing off in the back and both jumped, grumbling angrily. I cringed and reached to lower the volume, but Cage pressed his lips together. Before I could do anything, he switched the radio off. The car returned to silence. 

        "Cage." My chest felt tight.

        He was staring straight ahead, never making a move that wasn't necessary. His dark hair was all messed up and his tie was loosened and crooked. The lips that I'd come to love were straight, not in a frown but not smiling either. Cage hadn't shaved for a couple days. He didn't look at me and it upset me greatly, for some reason.

        "Cage." I repeated.

        The exhale that left his bruised mouth was sharp. "What, November?" The words were cold and detached.

        I felt my stomach twist. Was he mad at me for something? Looking back out onto the road, I said, "You can't make a right turn on Harper Terrace. They're doing construction work, the roads are closed." Sure enough, we passed a man in a bright neon orange vest guiding cars in the other direction. "You need to drive straight until you reach Seward Street and make a left. That'll bring you into my neighborhood."

        "Thank you." Cage replied. There was an edge to his voice that made me uncomfortable.

        My heart picked up when I recognized some of the buildings. As we passed the Chinese restaurant where it all started, Cage scoffed. There was police tape wrapped around the building. Soon enough, we turned onto my neighbourhood. Cage slowed down the car, looking around. I could see the giant fern tree in the front yard. Was Fern home? How do I even begin explaining what happened?

        My stomach constricted with nausea. I was excited to be back home, don't get me wrong. It just meant that this was goodbye for the Crows and I. Cage slowly eased the car onto the driveway and pulled the keys out of the ignition. I waited for Cage to unlock the doors so I could get out, but when he didn't, I sat uncomfortably. 

        I stared up at my house. Fern's car was in the driveway, so she was home. The familiar surroundings felt strange after being gone for so long. After Chicago, Ivey didn't seem as great in comparison. I wanted the city life. And I could live that life when I was older...just not with Cage. For some reason, the realization that I would never see the Crows again saddened me. It was the last thing I should be feeling for them after what they've done, what they've put me through, and who they were.

        "November." Cage said quietly.

        I dared to take a peek at him. He was looking at me, his eyes clear and green. Cage sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. Nick and Heath sat in the backseat, waiting patiently. My mouth felt dry. After everything, our goodbye did seem a little anti-climatic. I was about to give Cage a thank you for bringing me back home when he suddenly pressed a button and all the locks unlocked at once.

        "Oh, fuck it." Cage growled. He opened the door and slipped out. Nick and Heath followed suit.

        Stunned, I sat in the car for a moment. And then I panicked all at once. Jumping out of the car, I slammed the door behind me and caught up to Cage. Nick and Heath were already at the door. "Wait!" I tugged on his sleeve, surprised. "What are you doing? I thought you were going back to Chicago-"

        "I am." Cage said. "But-"

        Nick pressed the doorbell.

        "Nick!" I shouted in panic. The familiar musical chime rang from deep within the house. "Go away! Fern can't see you, she'll freak out! Cage, what are you doing? Go back into the car." I tried to pull him back, but Cage, as always, was stronger than I was. With a smirk, he joined Nick and Heath at the door. Horrified, I caught up to them. 

        The Crows.

        Inside my house.

        Fern.

        All of those things combined made for a very dangerous situation. 

        "Cage!" I tugged his sleeve again frantically. Footsteps could be heard, coming closer, towards the door. After being accidentally kidnapped for five days, I had one hell of an explanation to give Fern about my disappearance. But with Cage, Nick, and Heath added to the mix made everything so much worse. I had absolutely no logical thing to tell Fern about why exactly I was standing on our front porch with three huge, intimidating men. 

        "Relax, princess." Cage pulled my hand away from his coat and slipped his fingers into mine. "I just want to meet your niece."

        I gasped. "I will punch you in the-"

        I choked on my words as Fern opened the door to see the hot mess I got myself into now. The look on her face was more shocked than the look I had on my face when I realized I burned my eyebrow clean off.

        Standing in pajamas and holding a little bundle of blankets in one arm and a cup of coffee in the other, Fern's eyes widened. She looked the same as she did before I was accidentally kidnapped, only without the big balloon stomach. She took one look at all of us standing there and spit out her coffee in shock...all over Cage Vickers.