•34•

Eren, Levi, and I are in the empty dark dining hall. We got back from our mission the day prior. I'm still trying to think about what happened. Things aren't adding up with that Titan and I'm starting to realize some things.

"What's the hold up?" Levi asks. "Erwins never late. They should be here. At this rate the damn MPs'll show up first. That'd be our luck."

Levi lifts his tea to his lips with the weird way he holds his cup. I eye it suspiciously, still trying to figure out why he does it.

"Yeah, who can say? Maybe they're all takin' a shit. Duty calls, right?" He says in his monotone voice.

Eren chuckles and I just roll my eyes. All he does is joke about people takin shits. What's his deal with that anyways?

"You're, uh, sure in a talkative mood today," I point out.

"So what if I am?" He retorts. "Doesn't mean I was talking to you."

"Ass..." I whisper under my breath.

Levi sets his cup down and winces. I see him rub his left leg. That's right... When he stepped in to save Mikasa, I saw him get hurt.

"It's my fault, sir." Eren sighs as he notices the captains injury too. "I made the choice. If I'd have thought this through none of this - We wouldn't-."

I watch my brother lean over and tremble slightly. He's really beating himself up about not shifting sooner.

"You made a judgment call. Look, no one expects you to be clairvoyant." Levi groans.

The door opens and Eren and I stand up at the arrival of the commander. I guess Levi's inspirational words will be put on pause.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," Erwin apologizes.

I'm currently facing the other way, so I turn my body to salute him, but I see all my friends standing beside the commander.

"What the-," Eren gapes.

"Why are you all here?" I ask since apparently my brother is a loss of words.

"We believe we've uncovered the Female Titans true identity," The commander states. "Sophie, what you told me last night when we got back got me thinking... She won't slip away this time."

"Sir," I run up to the commander before he leaves to go back to the inside of Wall Sina. "I was thinking... I watched the female Titan fight Eren. Back at boot camp, I remember a girl who was skilled in hand-to-hand combat. The similarities to her appearance and fighting style, make me believe I think she's the female Titan from today. Her name is Annie. Annie Leonhart."

I look at my friends who have their heads hung low. My guess is that Erwin briefed them on my suspicion. They all look betrayed. Jean looks even more upset than I thought. We're they close?

"The day after tomorrow, we'll be passing through Stohess District in route to the capital. That's when we'll strike. It'll be your first and only chance to do so. Once we've set foot in the interior, the government will assume custody of Eren and Sophie, and the scouts authority to continue operations will be limited."

I glance up at the commander from my seat at the table between Armin and Jean. We all have maps in front of us, detailing the plan.