•96•

I feel the wall shake slightly as Reiner nears the top of it. The fear residing inside me threatens to boil out as he gets closer.

"Sir? What now?" Armin turns to Commander Erwin. "The armored Titan is almost up."

"And Bertholdt hasn't shown yet, but he must be nearby," I add, my eyes scanning around for any sight of him.

"Yes. I'm well aware," Erwin retorts.

Jean rubs his eyes with his palm and I can tell he's worried about this battle as well. He's been frantically looking around and clinging to his blades like he's about to be attacked any second, which is completely reasonable. At any moment we could have to fight.

"Commander!" I step closer to the taller blonde man beside Levi. "We can't just sit here like this. We need a plan."

"Right," he stands up straighter.

"You finally ready to say something, Erwin?" Levi scoffs. "Been waiting so long I could've made breakfast."

It's odd to see Levi joking in such a serious situation, but it definitely eases my heart a little. Knowing that he's not terrified like the rest of us, gives me hope.

"Dirk Squad and Marlene, Squad too!" Erwin turns and yells. "Join Klaus Squad and protect the horses and the gate! Levi squad and Hange squad! I need you to take down the armored Titan."

My heart skips at his orders. From the corner of my eye, I spot Reiner and remember I promised myself that I'd take him down. For everything he's done...

"Employ your thunder spears at your own discretion," he continues. "Do whatever it takes to achieve your objective! This is our moment. Our chance to strike. The fate of humankind depends on this battle! Lay down your hearts and your lives... one final time, for humanity!"

"Yea sir!" We all shout and begin our assigned missions.

I look around for Kaia and Reece, but remember they're below with the horses with Vic, Floch and Marlo. I look to see Jean waiting for me, but I shake my head to tell him to go on without me.

"Commander," I approach Erwin and he looks at me, waiting for me to speak. "I'd like to request Vic Hart be added to our squad. He's very skilled and I believe it'll help us. As well as Reece, because he is training as a medical officer. I think it would benefit us."

"They should really protect the horses... I'll allow Vic. But Reece should stay below," he nods. "I'll send for him."

"Let me," I state.

"Fine. But hurry. There's a war going on," he grumbles. "Hey. Hold on, you two."

I see Armin and Levi get called back to the commander, but I fly down to the horses below us before I'm able to hear what Erwin needs them for.

My eyes search for any familiar faces as I soar down the wall. I find the light colored hair and small body of Kaia, causing me to drop down beside her.

"Sophie! You're okay!" He wraps her thin arms around my body. "I couldn't see over the wall or anything so I thought you could've been hurt by those rocks. It's so scary seeing those things fly at you."

"I know, I'm okay. Are you doing alright?" I pat her back.

"More or less. I guess my combat training hasn't really prepared me for this. Can't really fight rocks, ya know."

"You'll do just fine. It's honorable for you to put your life on the line for humanity. A lot of people can't do that, so I commend you. I'm so proud," I smile at her.