•49•

The steam coming from my leg causes the air around me to become hot since it's adding to the sun that's beating down on us. Ymir starts fanning herself, indicating it's bothering her too.

"Hey Reiner, got any water?" I ask. "Help an old friend out. I'm dying over here."

"Sorry, there's not a helluva lot I can do. Even if it is a matter of life and death," he grumbles.

"That's comforting. We'll at least now we know where we stand. Sort of," I lean back on my hands and smirk at him. "I just thought you needed us alive to take back to your home? Or would you still be their hero's or we're all dead? Maybe I'll just jump down for the Titans to devour me. Sounds like a good way to go. Just like my mom...just like Marco."

Reiner just looks away and I lay back on the tree, unbuttoning the top three buttons on my white long sleeve. I then use a branch in the tree to tear off the sleeves to my shirt.

Reiner looks at me and then let out a short cough. I watch his eyes glance over my chest and then to my exposed arms. I roll my eyes at him. Good to know he's still a man...

"Uh-. So we've been working our asses off. No food, no sleep, no nothing. Ever since those Titans showed up. That was yesterday right? Man, we're lucky the wall hasn't been destroyed," Reiner rubs his shoulder. "Still, you'd think that means they'd give us a break. And don't even get me started on promotion."

"What the hell?" Bertholdt looks at his friend in shock.

"What?" Reiner growls. "Aww, come on. I don't think that's too much to ask, do you? God knows we've done our share of heavy lifting all things considered."

What the hell is going through his mind right now? Why is he worried about things that have to do with us... he's the enemy... he shouldn't be worried about the wall.

"I mean, I get it, we're soldiers. Duty first," Reiner continues. "It's just nice to be acknowledged."

We all just look at him in confusion. Is he talking about being a scout? I feel like he's still talking like he's one of us...

"You bang your head or something?" Ymir scoffs. "What are you even talking about? Seriously?"

"Don't give me that," Reiner retorts. "I'm not sayin we storm in and demand the rank of captain or anything."

"No. Thats not what I mean." Ymir sighs.

"Oh, yeah," Reiners voice lightens. "Where'd you find that cannon, by the way? I owe you one for saving my bacon."

At this point I'm lost. I assume they're talking about back in the tower they all got trapped in. I have no idea what went in there.

"Really nice of Christa to patch me up afterwards. I'm starting to think me and her might become a thing," Reiner scratches his jaw. "Right? It's not just me? She always treats me like we're-"

"Hey!" I stand up, holding onto the tree for support. "What is wrong with you? You've got to be kidding me."

My voice comes out breathless and shocked. How can he just think of a thing like that? To think he has a chance at forming any kind of relationship with anyone that he betrayed.

"Huh? What are you so pissed about all of a sudden?" Reiner looks at me. "Take it easy. Was it something I said, or?"

"If you want to die, then just keep talking!" My brother stands up next to me and screams at Reiner, his nub arms swinging around dramatically.

"Hold up, Eren." I put my arm out in front of him. I'm angry too, but my brothers taking it overboard. "I think somebody's gone off the deep end. Is that what this is, Bertholdt? If you know something we don't, now would be a good time to put it on the table."