•94•

All around me soldiers begins to mount their horses, so my friends and I do the same. Bodt begins to speed up as commander Erwin leads us towards the entrance to my home town that I lost years ago.

I take hold of my hood and make sure its on. Erwin gave us strict instructions to keep them covering our faces. If Reiner and Bertholdt don't know which of us is Eren and I, then we can buy us some time and maybe even catch them off guard.

I may not be able to turn into a giant Titan anymore, but I'm still one hell of a scout. These blades are now my weapons and I'm going to use them to their full advantage.

We pass by buildings that were destroyed during the attack, now they're barely standing up. Most have crumbled to the ground.

"There could be Titans anywhere, so keep your guard up!" Erwin shouts. "This operation as officially begun! All troops switch to ODM gear!"

I pat Bodts neck and then rise to my feet, balancing on the saddle. Beside me, Jean nods and we both take off, flying up and onto the wall. My eyes dart across the town, remembering all the times I ran through the streets as a child, how Hannes would play card games near the entrance, and even when I got the scar on my back.

I snap back into reality and remember what Erwin told us before we left;

"We must seal the gate to Wall Maria and the one to the outside world. With that achieved, Shiganshina will be isolated, and we can kill the Titans inside. The enemy will predict this plan and counter it by targeting Eren. But... all 100 of our soldiers will keep their faces covered with hoods. By the time the enemy locates Eren, he'll have plugged up the outer gate. They don't know about you either, Sophie. So make sure you stay hidden as well."

Eren lands beside me as I gaze across the buildings below me. Last time we were here, our mother was killed and we had to leave our home behind. They're not the happiest memories.

I take hold of Eren's hand and close my eyes.

"Don't stop!" Levi passes by us, running along the wall. "You get to that outer gate!"

"Right!" Eren responded and takes off.

I follow, but notice Armin stop. I halt, turning on my heel and facing him. He's concentrating on a large black smudge just at the edge of the wall.

"Ashes..." he whispers.

Armin raises his hand to catch Erwins attention. He knows Reiner and Bertholdt are here. They've been waiting for us. Leave it to Armin to figure out where they are.

The last time I saw Reiner I had told him I was going to kill him. Looks like I'm going to get my chance. He betrayed us and I can't forgive him. I still don't know what exactly happened and how Marco was killed, but I must avenge my friends death. My moms death. Everyone who was killed when they destroyed Wall Maria. Everything that's happened since then, was because of those two. I will put an end to them.

Armin stands beside me, looking down, trying to see if he is able to spot the traitors. I turn around, finding Jean rocking on his heels.

"Hey," I reach out and take his hand. "Are you anxious?"

"A little," he pulls me closer towards him. "It's just... things don't seem right. There's no Titans, Reiner and Bertholdt would want to stop Eren from transforming, but I haven't seen them. It makes me wonder what they're planning."