16- An Offer and Revenge

Written: 12/30/20

Published: 12/31/20

Emma's innocent, childish face in the picture, I can't.

     The next morning, 6 Am sharp. The day began with the bell chiming as always. As of now, there are thirty-seven children in the house. Emma, Ray, and Y/n walked through the doors of the dining hall. Ray passed Emma, putting a hand on her shoulder.

     "Ah, Morning Ray!" Emma smiled.

     "Yup." He replied.

      Y/n waved to Emma. Y/n sat down at the table and lay her head down. Mama allowed her to ditch preparing for breakfast this one time. Emma limped over to the table.

     "Good morning, Norma-" She paused.

     The seat that he no longer sat. Gone. Gone. Gone. Gone. "Emma!" Norman's kind voice called. Emma desperately whipped her head around.

     "Nor-" She stopped when no one was there. Even though I know that he's gone... My eyes and ears can't help but look for him... Norman is gone. It's agonizing to think about it.

     The children continued to go along schedule. They took their tests. Emma, Ray, and Y/n still got full scores. They then had free-time. The children raced outside to play. Emma limped over to the tree and collapsed against the trunk.

     After the tests, Ray had trudged to the library. He sank to the floor. Some books fell on him. He grunted, but did nothing to change his position.

     Y/n wasn't too much better either. She just did unnecessary chores around the house. Anything she could do. Anything to distract her. Anything. Y/n washed dishes excessively. Washed the clothes. Scrubbed the floors. Dusted the whole house. Why was life so cruel?

     "Emma looks down again." Phil said.

     "It's not just Emma." Lannion remarked. "Ray too."

     "Even Y/n." Thoma said. "They must be feeling lonely. I mean I guess those four were really close friends..."

      The next day after breakfast, Ray, Don, Gilda, Emma, and Y/n remained in the hall for a minute. Ray had his head in his hands. "Screw it all. Let's all just die here." Ray mumbled.

     "Huh?" Emma said.

     "We can't do this. We're on a cliff too high to jump off of. The only bridge that leads to the other side is connected to the HQ. And most of all...I'm tired. I'm just... exhausted."

     Emma held out the transmitter destroyer. "Then what about this?"

     "Don't care. You can have it." Ray told her. "Run if you'd like. I'm no longer part of the plan... I'm sorry, Emma. Y/n."

      Emma had tears fall down her face. Y/n ran upstairs. The girl ran into the bedrooms. She leaped onto her bed and some tears began to fall. Pathetic. Pathetic. Pathetic! I couldn't save Norman. I'm here crying... Ray and Emma are both hopeless! I have to think. I have to try. It's just that my mind and body are refusing to work. A knock erupted from the door. The girl was deep in her thoughts, thus did not hear it. That's right... Until now, I've always been able to word hard because I had all three of them beside me. But they're gone or giving up! Even Ray... And now, I'm... alone! Can I do it? Can we really help everyone escape and live? That's just so... I could never do anything useful. It's impossible. What on earth could I... Norman said I was the building block... But there's no way. My arm hurts... But my chest hurts more. But I have to stop! Snap out of it, Move! A shadow blocked the light. Y/n looked up.