Prologue

Written: 2/17/21
Published: 2/17/21

       A fetus lay in a warm liquid. It was very dark. What was this? There were faint sounds of a soothing hymn. What was it? What this life? It was ready to emerge from the dark, warm liquid. The newborn child emerged from the belly of a woman. It was a boy. The woman with the braided hair smiled at her baby as it was taken away by long slender fingers.

One year later

      The baby was set in a small crib. The boy opened his eyes. He saw an elderly woman wearing all black standing beside tall, scary monsters. The woman took a piece of paper. "Next 5." She said.

      The baby winced as an object was pressed against his ear. They also burned and imprinted five things on his neck. It hurt a lot. The baby fell into a comfortable sleep.

     The baby woke up one again. It was in a comfortable hold, wrapped in a comfortable blanket. He was being held by the elderly woman from before. It was dark and cold against his face. He felt the arms under him shift.

     He was taken into a familiar pair of hands. The infant looked up to see the familiar woman he had seen a year ago. She no longer wore her hair in a braid, but in a bun. She also had a black dress and white apron on. She smiled at the boy. The woman began walking back to an orphanage, humming a lullaby as they returned home.

     The boy closed his eyes. This is my mother.

      Two years later

      The boy learned his name was Ray. He had fellow friends his age. There was an older girl named Sherry that he was fond of. She was kind to him and his friends. The boy and his friends had learned a language over the past few weeks.

     The male looked over to his left and saw a h/c haired girl standing in front of him. She was smiling as she held her hand out. "I'm Y/n! I t-t-think." She said. The girl then turned to the Mama. "Mama! Was that right? Did I get it right?"

      The woman Ray had known since his first day alive strolled over. "Yes, Y/n! I'm very proud of you." She turned to smile at Ray. "Ray, would you like to say anything to Y/n?"

    Ray observed her. He looked back to the young girl, eagerly looking at him to answer. He held out his hand. She took it. He shook it. "Hello, Y/n. My name is Ray. It is very nice to meet you."

     "I look forward to the days we'll spend together!" The girl smiled ear to ear.

     Ray's mouth straightened. "Yeah. Until we get adopted, right?"

      Y/n nodded fervently. "Yeah! Maybe we can get adopted together!"

     Ray gave a small grin. "Yeah." Maybe.