6- Pressure

Written: 12/17 & 22/20
Published: 12/23/20

Y/n woke up beside Ray. The bell was about to ring to wake up, so she figured to wake her friend up anyway. She shook him, resulting in the boy looking at her with bored and tired eyes. She gave him a small grin and then slipped out of the bed.

Mama called for her and Ray. The two entered the office and sat down. Mama did not look very happy.

She held up Little Bernie. "I found this." She said. "Who was it?"

"We don't know." Ray answered. "We were reading together last night, so we didn't see anyone exit the house."

Mama observed the two children closely. Their alibi was very credible. She gave them a closed eyed smile. "Very well. You two are free to go."

Ray and Y/n stood up and exited. They made their way into the dining room in silence. They both knew they would face the consequence of Norman and Emma going to the gate. Except, it was frustrating. Because Emma and Norman left Little Bernie, their plans have to be altered. Mama is now even more of a threat. Y/n saw Emma and Norman enter the room.

Looking at Emma, she expected the happy and energetic Emma she knew. However, Emma sat up looking quite depressed. Y/n sighed. Guess she was hoping for too much.

After dressing for the day, all the children rushed down for breakfast. Norman and Emma were tasked with taking the plates and setting them. Ray and Y/n rolled out the food on carts. Carefully observing their two friends, Ray and Y/n glanced at Mama. Mama was playing with the little ones as she walked in the room, not paying much attention to the other eleven-year old pair at all.

      "Emma's going to give it away..." Y/n anxiously whispered to Ray.

      "No, Norman will make sure of it." The spiky haired male replied.

      Y/n watched as Norman gave Emma a look. The carrot top then smiled and told him good morning.

     "Good morning, Emma." Y/n spoke.

     Emma looked at Y/n. Y/n saw the pain in her face. The same pain that said she wanted to tell the truth. However, Emma still smiled. "Good morning, Y/n."

Throughout the day, Y/n noticed Emma looking closer at the orphanage and everything the children had. Perfect food, uniforms, strangely strict schedule, latticed windows.

Sitting by Ray in their usual spot against the tree, Y/n began to read on a topic she never tried before: defensive arts. Once they escape, although it is most likely a monsters society outside, there still may be humans out there, friendly or hostile. It would be best if she knew some sort of that field. In the corner of her eye, she noticed Emma and Norman going alone towards the woods. Please find the wall. Y/n hoped.

After maybe twenty minutes, Mama rung her little pocket bell. All the 'orphans' gathered together. Y/n noticed two were missing. Mark and Nayla. Mark came running up to Mama with tears in his eyes.

"Mama! Nayla and I were separated in the forest and I can't find her!" The boy cried.

Mama pulled out her tracker/watch. She then smiled and put it away. "Don't worry, Mark. It'll be alright." She then stood and headed in assumably Nayla's direction.

       "Why do you reckon she revealed the tracker to them?" Ray questioned. Y/n pursed her lips.

       "It would probably be to send the message, 'I'll find you wherever you go'. To try and stress them. She doesn't know who went after all, so she might have gotten a reaction had the person been a 5-year old or so." Y/n said. Ray nodded in understanding.

"Although...Knowing Mama, she may already know."

     Mama was walking back, holding a girl in her arms. Nayla. The girl took a quick glance at Norman. He was absolutely horrified. Y/n figured that Norman realized the watch was not what is seems.

Mama was making a declaration of war on the children who discovered the secret. After the small 'recess', the children carried on with their daily chores. Emma and Norman were hanging the laundry on the lines with clothespins. Ray was sweeping. Y/n and Mama were sewing together some ripped uniforms. Mama observed Y/n's work.

"You are very good at that, Y/n!" Mama said excitedly. She is a very promising candidate for a mama... Isabella thought.

"Thank you, Mama." Y/n replied.

When they finally finished, Y/n put the fixed clothing in a nearby box and put it away. She followed Mama out the room. They turned a corner, and saw Emma standing idly, touching the spot where Connie's drawing was. Y/n heard Norman's footsteps and then he hid behind the corner of the wall before being seen. Mama frowned and quietly approached her. She bent her back slightly, staring Emma in the eyes. Emma slightly flinched.

"What's wrong, Emma?" Mama asked. "You're looking quite pale. Now that I think about it, this morning you weren't in your usual good spirits."

Y/n's brows furrowed. Emma... Whether you can fool her will change everything.

She put a hand to Emma's ear, obviously feeling for the tracker. Emma panicked slightly. "No...I..." She then put a broad smile on. "It's nothing. I was just thinking that I'd soon leave the house and... I'm going to miss you."

"Do you like the house?" Mama asked.

Emma nodded as she hugged Mama. "Of course! I love the house and I love you! I wonder what Connie is up to now..." Y/n heard Norman shuffle. "You know, she said she wanted to become a great mother, just like you when she grows up." Emma said as she let go of the grown woman.

Mama stood up. "Yeah, I know. I'm looking forward to that. She'll become a fine adult, and a great mother as well." Mama said, prying for more reactions.

Can Emma take the pressure Mama is pressing on her? Think... how can I diffuse this situation?

Suddenly, Ray came from the staircase with a bell. He rung it, gaining the three children and adult's attention. "It's dinner time. I got everything ready, Mama." When the bell sound echoed through the house, the children ran through the house to get downstairs.

"We'll be right there." Mama replied.

Norman came out from the corner and grabbed Emma's arm. "Let's go Emma."

"Did you two go to the gate yesterday?" Mama asked.

"Of course not." Norman said as he looked behind his shoulder. "We were so into our game of tag yesterday."

"Yeah! In the end, nobody could catch you!" Emma exclaimed, her back still facing Mama.

"Why are you asking?"

"No reason, don't worry about it." Mama said.

Y/n stayed behind and saw Emma drop to her knees. Y/n thought for a moment. She couldn't carelessly walk up to her and comfort Emma. If she did that, it would be suspicious that she knew something. So she feigned nervousness and worry. "What's wrong, Emma?" Y/n asked.

"It's nothing!" She replied. The carrot top looked to Norman. "I'm sorry... I'm so exhausted that I suddenly... It's like my heart only started beating right now."

Norman and Y/n helped her up. "Can you stand?" The male asked. Emma nodded as she got to her feet.

Norman glanced at Y/n who was still there. He watched her closely before turning back to Emma. "She's checking us out." He told the green eyed girl. "She knows that her target is two people. But she doesn't yet know who they are. The signal can't identify us. So let's start looking for it!" Norman explained.

"What are you two talking about?" Y/n asked.

"We were just playing around. Roleplaying!" Emma answered with a smile on her face. "Dinners ready, c'mon!"

Y/n followed the two. Mama. Between the four of us against you... who will be the one who survives?