24- A Deal

Written: 1/6-7/ 21

Published: 1/18/21

      It's a person... A real human being! But... They all thought. They watched the man shove the sweet in his right hand in his mouth. He chewed with his mouth open, a few crumbs fell on the ground. He grabbed another sweet and repeated the action. His manners are just terrible!!! With that cup... It's totally broken...So it has to be empty, right?

     Nat flinched. Air tea?!

     Gilda quietly groaned in disgust. The way he dresses, too. Is totally sleaz- Er, I mean... 'Individualistic'...everything's mismatched...

     Weird guy. Nat and Thoma thought.

     Disappointing. Chris and Alicia thought.

     Cookies... Mark drooled.

     It's not what we expected at all... Is this man really...? Anna and Gilda wondered.

     "Are you Minerva?" Y/n asked.

      The man looked her straight in the eye. "Nope." He answered. That one answer brought their hopes down. "Too bad for you, kids. I'm not William Minerva." He said as he held up one of the mini cookies.

     "Then please call him." Ray said. "We came all this way here in order to meet Minerva."

     The man put the cookie in his mouth. "He ain't here, chum!" He said while chewing. "What a shame, huh? No Minervas around here, at all." Alicia and Chris had frightened faces. So Minerva was really a dirty liar..?! They thought.

     "Calm down." Ray told them, as if reading their thoughts. He turned to the man who was taking yet another sweet. "Clearly you know of Minerva, too. We need more info. Where is he right now?" Ray interrogated.

     "No idea, man!" The man laughed. (Dude, I keep almost putting his name.)

     "Who are you?" Ray asked. "What are you doing here?"

     "Who am I?" He said with a smirk on his face. He dug in his shirt pocket. "I'm your senior." He told them as he revealed a pen, identical to the one in Y/n's hands. Y/n handed it to Ray. The children said 'senior?'. "Yup." The man clarified. "Well, not from Grace Field, at any rate." Y/n raised a brow. How did he know we were from Grace Field? She wondered. He pulled up his shirt. There was strange lettering on his extremely toned abdomen. It was his ID code. "I come from a plantation called Glory Bell and I escaped it thirteen years ago... With my colleagues. And thanks to this pen." He said as he stood up.

      "Same as us..." Rossi commented.

     "He's like us..." Jemima smiled.

      "That's right." The man said. "I'm just the same as you. Ended up here while searching for Minerva." He crossed his arms. He took the coat he was wearing and draped it around his shoulders like a cape. This revealed a checkered vest underneath. He then got on the table and crouched. "However... When I finally reached the place for real, Minerva wasn't around. I waited for him a long time, ended up living here, and no trace of the man. No way around it, man's a dirty liar."

     See?! Chris and Alicia thought in unison.

     "Though..." He continued. "I gotta say I'm grateful for this shelter, you know? There's a stock of water and food running electricity. Plenty of living space, too... Everything's provided for. And a lot of material about the world and valuable information. Hurrah for my man Minerva!" So Minerva hasn't come here in at least thirteen years?!