NEW ARC! 18- The Promised Forest

Written: 12/31/20
Published: 12/31/20

Art above not mine.

"They're nowhere to be found! We speculate they've already left plantation grounds!"

"6 low quality, 3 average quality, 2 good quality, 2 high quality, and 3 premium quality! 16 total... what an extraordinary loss!"

"73584... what an unforgivable mistake on your part! Just why... this isn't like you at all! This isn't right... this is you we're talking about..."

"No..." 73584 said. "This is entirely my fault."

"We've located footsteps around the northeastern bridge. Send out individuals to go after them as soon as possible!"

"Let the surrounding areas know what's going on as well! We've got premium goods on the loose! And by that, I mean our premium goods! Of course... whether they're dead or alive... Let them know that we'll be sure to provide due compensation for turning in the goods."

~~~~~

The children were walking through a large forest. The trees surrounding them we're probably miles high. The roots from the trees stuck up through the ground, making an extremely bumpy terrain. More random plants covered what the roots did not. They heard a few birds chirping in the distance. The sun shone through some of the cracks through the trees.

Emma was leading the group through the maze of trees while Ray and Y/n were behind, ensuring no one was left behind.

"They're huge!" Don exclaimed.

Y/n grunted in agreement. Incredible... So this is the outside world. What is this... a primeval forest? This is completely different from the forest we were in just minutes ago! Y/n looked at the trunk of a tree. It was probably fifteen feet in circumference. Enormous! So much more than what I saw in pictures and drawings! What is this? I've seen nothing like this in the books back in the house! I wanted to try and figure out our location by our surroundings but this won't be very easy...

Something caught Y/n's eye. When she looked, nothing was moving. She looked at Ray who was looking at the same spot. "Did you see that?" She asked.

Ray nodded. "Like, something just moved?" Y/n nodded in agreement.

They came across a clump of roots, creating a hill. Don and Emma helped the children climb over the trees. Y/n observed the children's conditions. She noticed some were rubbing their eyes and huffing. Our pace is dropping. They're sleepy and tired. And on top of it all, the forest floor here is really difficult to get through...

"Emma!" Don called.

"Yeah!" She called back. She threw her hands in the air. "Okay everyone! Time to rest! Let's eat breakfast here!" She exclaimed. They had stopped inside of a tree that parted in half. It provided decent cover.

Y/n and Ray distributed the food while Emma analyzed the landscape ahead. "Don't eat too much at once!" Gilda said. "We want to make sure our food lasts as long as possible." Y/n strolled over to Emma with some crackers.

"Aren't you eating with us?" Y?n asked.

"No, I'll stand here and keep watch." She answered. "Go back and don't worry about standing alert!"

Y/n sighed. She shoved the food into Emma's hands. "You're the leader right now. We can't have our leader collapsing later." Y/n said with a grin. Emma grinned back and took the food into her mouth.