19- The 'Snakes' of the Outside

Written: 12/31/20

Published: 1/1/21

Happy New Years

"They're down."

"So we were too late."

"There's an entire colony of bloodsucker trees down there. I've heard the some wild lowly organisms have been roaming this area recently."

"What ever happens, we absolutely mustn't allow those humans to be eaten by anything besides our kind. Can you figure out which direction they went in?"

"Yes sir, they are straight down to our southeast."

~~~~~

"One of the two special books dedicated to us by Minerva, the one with mouth code that read 'promise'. And 'The Adventure Log of Ugo'. A story of the main character Ugo  She and his lemur friend Marvine, and their adventures while traveling the world." Emma described. "This is it! I remember reading about it in this book... The story of those snakes! Ugh... I can't remember the details, hold on..."

"Are you talking... about the snakes of Alvar Pinera?" Y/n asked. Emma nodded swiftly. Ray looked at the two girls blankly. He had no idea what was going on. "The deep sea cave known as Alvar Pinera turned out to be the nest of terrifying, poisonous snakes." Y/n said. "The countless snakes intertwined with each other as if they were tree roots. And as if they were a single organism. They surrounds the walls around Ugo. The terror made the treasure by his feet feel all the more beautiful. Were the snakes protecting the treasure? Or did they use it to bait him? From chapter three of The Adventure Log of Ugo."

Emma smiled at Ray. "Similar, right? A cave...Treasure...snakes... It's all talking about this tree!" Emma exclaimed. "This book was truly meant to be a guidebook for us!"

"Hold it Emma, Y/n." Ray told them. "It's true the two stories are similar, but..." He paused and observed the situation once more. "...Well, I suppose it's possible. Let's give it a shot."

"Yup." Y/n agreed. "If the book really is a guide for us, then the only way for this tree to attack us is..." She turned to the children. "Everybody, back up a bit!" The roots. They have no nose or eyes which means there must be a way they use to locate their prey!

Ray threw a mug at the roots on the wall. As soon as the cup made contact with the wall, the roots smashed the thing to small pieces. "Alright!" The three synchronized. "It uses touch!" It's not heat, sound, or even vibrations of the ground. These things can only find us if we touch the tip of its root! Everything makes sense if you think about it. How those animals got attacked... And how we need to get out of here.

Ray sweated. It's amazing how much a difference a clear mind can make. Observe. Analyze. Read the enemy. That's what Ugo consistently did in the book, too. Watch, think and make yourself a way. We don't know, but we can learn. This is the one good thing about us being humans. "Emma." The boy called out. "You said before, this thing is probably the snakes of Alvar Pinera."

Emma agreed. Chris pointed to the roots. "Hey, this is bad! Those roots are getting closer by the minute!" The young boy cried.

There's no place for us to slip through! Don thought. So is this how this thing has been catching its prey?! No animal can possibly escape. Once you get caught... We'll all get the life sucked out of us!

"Ray? Y/n?" Emma ordered.

"Yup." The two replied.

The three eldest took a few steps towards the roots, despite the cries of their anxious siblings. They spread their hands out.