54- Clemency

Written: 5/20/21

Published: 5/21/21

Protect the world. That was the honorable, noble, and most important mission of the Ratri clan for generations. To me, the clan was my pride, joy, and light. And the leader, my older brother, was my biggest hero. He was kind, smart, handsome, sincere, and refined. I respected him more than father, mother, or any great person from any era or country. I loved him more than anything in the world. I believed that I was to support him for the rest of my life and that I was born to do so. However, one day he found something shocking. If he hadn't a certain document. A document that explained that Julius Ratri betrayed his comrades for the promise. An old confession. My brother changed that day. Hesitation and guild arose in him, but I didn't understand. In fact, I thought, "How wonderful! Julius didn't do anything wrong. We're the clan that protects the world. He pushed aside personal feelings to save the world! It was a wise decision. He protected the world, even if it meant he betrayed his comrades. That is what makes a hero. A clan that carries out a noble mission. This is wonderful! This is how it should be." He replied, "A noble mission. I've always thought of it that way, too. But we were wrong. This is punishment. As well as a curse, Peter." Why? No. Stop. Don't go. Don't put the world in jeopardy. You're wrong. Our clan is correct. The children are necessary sacrifices for this world. I have to stop him. What now? What do I, a Ratri, do? Ah. I'll also protect the world just like Julius.

When the guards finally discovered Peter's older, cold body, they lay it in front of him. His eyes peacefully closed with a sense of fulfillment. His mouth was slightly open as his clothes were soaked. Water dripped form his chin and hair.

"What was he like at the end?"

"He was smiling. He told us to tell you, 'I'm sorry.'"

Peter broke down there. He kneeled and hugged his deceased body. Brother, I promise to carry out the mission for your sake, too. No matter how much it hurts. No matter how warped the world may be...

"So? Whaddya say, Pete?" Y/n asked.

"Let's change." Emma said. "Let's end the 1,000 years of suffering now."

Was my brother fighting back against his destiny? Did he want to be free? Did he want to free me?

"Come on, live with us."

Y/n was astonished when Peter suddenly grinned. Never before had she seen such a broken smile. Not from Ray, not from Mama, no one. He lost hope in his own self. The feeling of regret radiating from him.

"You should just kill me. But you say you want to live together? Fools. That's why you were meant to be eaten. Actually, the demons aren't so bad. What they've been doing to you are things that humans have done to each other since long ago."

Of course, Y/n, Ray, and Norman were aware of that. No established nation or town is without issues. There were even major issues in this world concerning the royal family and the farms. War and battle against each other of both races is inevitable at some point. Clearly, Emma forgot about those details.

"Yes, even though humans don't eat each other, go wherever you want. Do what you want. You kids win. But remember this one thing. The human world isn't any different. Because they are a mirror of humanity. 'Code solid'. You can pass that on to my uncle. Try it if you can." Peter began fumbling with his shirt sleeve. "I'm looking forward to seeing how far you can go in the human world." He flicked a knife out and brought it to his neck. "Sorry, but I can't go with you kids. I'll enjoy the new world from the depths of Hell." Y/n began darting towards him. "Farewell."