Chapter 48 Best of me

I looked up as the nurse nodded at me to follow her into the room.It felt like I had been walking a mile before we finally reached the room.She opened the door and there on that bed sat the woman with the tender brown eyes that I finally recognized again.

We both kind of waited for the nurse to let the door shut behind her.She stood as I really couldn't move.

"Hi."she said and I couldn't help but smile,she got closer and gave me a hug.I placed my head on her shoulder as a tear escaped my eyes.

"I've missed you so much."I said as I held on to her tightly.

"I have missed you too Lauren."she said timidly,"Sit."she said pointing me towards the bed.

"Thank you,Im so happy to see you....better"I said looking into her eyes

"Thank you."she said looking down at her hands.Something she did when she was nervous.

"Are you happy here?"

"Sometimes,following the steps is hard but I know it's what I have to do."

"You know I'm going to be here for you always."i said reassuring her.

"I know and I'm thankful for you Lauren but,"she stopped and looked at me and her hands once again.

"But what Luc?"i said feeling more than confused.

"I uhm I just am very nervous,I'm a bit embarrassed letting you see me like this."she said not being able to look into my eyes.I picked her chin up with a finger and leaned in to peck her lips.I gave her a soft kiss but she didn't kiss back.

"What's wrong..."I said not knowing what was going through her head

"Look Lauren I love you so much, but I can't do this not right now."she said trying to focus on my face

"I'm sorry I know maybe I shouldn't of kissed you-"

"No,Uhm one of the steps,well they recommend that we...that we don't have relationships."

"Yeah but It's just a recommendation I can wait-"

"Lauren,you know I wasn't okay for a while"she said looking up at me"I can't make you wait for me."

"You're not making me do anything."I said losing control of my emotions

"Lauren,I need to learn to be alone and deal with this alone,until I'm able to be myself with somebody else,I won't let you wait and suffer,I can't heal like that."Those words hit me harder than I thought they ever would.Tears now fell on my cheeks.

"I don't understand,I want to but-"I said gripping my face with my hands

"It will be easier Lauren,I just need you to promise me that you will be fine.I can't do this knowing I have the pressure of going back into a relationship that I'm not ready for.You deserve more."She didn't cry she looked at me with those tender eyes and hugged me.She held on to me knowing that she was letting go.

I hugged onto her as long as I could before I had to go.I kissed her forehead as a parting kiss.

-

"Why was that diner yesterday so damn awkward Camila."

"Why did you think it was awkward?"

"The way Kristen left,she seemed off."

"It's not my problem to try an accommodate her Sofi."

"Wow what a change in shift from a few days back."she said teasing

"It's not a shift,I just realized that things need to be kept more professional with Kristen."

"Yeah god forbid you make a mistake and end up in love with her."

"Don't even say that Sofi."

"Too bad just did."

"By the way,when do you have to get back to Miami."

"Wow,you want me gone over some teasing Mila."

"No,I was asking I actually had to go next week but I'm not sure with everything going on with dad."

"Well he is doing much better and I really would like you to go with me,You need the distraction anyway."

"I know,he has being doing better but I don't want to leave her with all that on her plate."

"She has two extra ordinary nurses that help her all day and night,im sure she can do well without us just looking around the room waiting for dad to try and talk."

"We shouldn't force anything on him,his progress has already been really good."

"I just wish it wouldve never happpened."

"We all do Love"

"Mila,you can't always just be here for us either,you have to do stuff for yourself"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that,you've always been responsible for making our parents proud and now this.Mami and papi have each other at the end of the day I don't want you to be alone"

"I'm not alone ,I have you"

"You're little sister can't always be here to take care of you Mila,"

"I know,regardless I'm always thankful for you."

——-