˗ˋ 50

CHAPTER FIFTY

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THE FINAL TASK IS REVEALED

. . .

"Well, what d'you think?" said Bagman happily as Elodie climbed over the last hedge and finally reached the group of three. "Growing nicely, aren't they? Give them a month and Hagrid'll have them twenty feet high.Don't worry," he added, grinning, spotting the less-than-happy expressions on Harry's and Cedric's faces, "you'll have your Quidditch field back to normal once the task is over! Now, I imagine you can guess what we're making here?"

No one spoke for a moment. Then — "Maze," grunted Krum. 

"That's right!" said Bagman. "A maze. The third task's really very straightforward. The Triwizard Cup will be placed in the center of the maze. The first champion to touch it will receive full marks."

"We just have to get through the maze?" Elodie asked, eyes narrowing as she looked across at Bagman. Surely that couldn't be it, just having to find the Triwizard Cup in a maze was far too simple. There had to be something else to it, something they needed to get past.

"There will be obstacles," said Bagman happily, bouncing on theballs of his feet. "Hagrid is providing a number of creatures... then there will be spells that must be broken... all that sort of thing, you know. Now, the champions who are leading on points will get a head start into the maze." Bagman grinned at Harry and Cedric. "Then Miss Beaumont will enter.. then Mr Krum. But you'll all be in with a fighting chance, depending how well you get past the obstacles. Should be fun, eh?"

"Extremely." Elodie said, expression deadpan and words dripping with sarcasm. Bagman didn't seem to notice, and beamed at her. 

"Very well.. if you haven't got any questions, we'll go back upto the castle, shall we, it's a bit chilly..." Bagman hurried alongside Harry as they began to find their way out of the growing maze. Elodie hurried past them, not having noticed just how cold she had gotten. 

She hurried back up to the castle, shivering as she did so. Hoping that Fred and George were back in the common room, she began to climb upwards through the school, taking corridors and staircases which the twins had taught her about for shortcuts.

The Beaumont girl finally emerged in the hall of moving portraits and stairs, waiting for one to stop in front of her before getting on, climbing to the top of that one and stepping onto the platform it lead to, doing the same thing multiple times until she reached the Fat Lady.

Luckily, a couple of others were going in, and so Elodie slipped into the gap, walking through the small tunnel and emerging into the common room.

It was just as warm, cosy and red as ever, and she scanned the room, spotting Fred and George sat on a sofa in the corner. "Hi." she murmured, collapsing down in the middle of them. 

"Meeting went well?" Fred rose an eyebrow, leaning forward to get a proper look at her face, seeing what expression she had. He leant forward just a tiny bit more, grabbing one of the blankets and throwing one side over to George, both of them wrapping the girl up in it. 

"It's not awful what they expect me to do I suppose.." Elodie frowned, falling silent for a couple of moments, before realising the both of them were staring at her. "They're growing a maze in the Quidditch pitch." 

She stopped speaking, waiting for some sort of outburst from either of them. But none came, and they just gritted their teeth. "Go on.." George mumbled, slightly pink. 

"Bagman promised it would be fine afterwards." She reassured them. "But they're putting obstacles in it, and the Triwizard Cup in the middle. I have to get past said obstacles to get the cup to then get full points." 

"Oh." Fred said, sitting back. "That's not that hard, really? You know plenty of spells, you just have to remember them." 

"Exactly. My memory isn't too great though, and whilst I know loads, I often don't remember the exact wand movement or words." Elodie swallowed, looking nervous. 

"Well we'll just have to help you." George said quickly, and Fred voiced his agreement.

"We can get you stuff from the library and whilst studying isn't our strong suit, we're great at motivating and finding books." Fred said, a smile on his face.

And when Elodie saw the confident, only slightly cocky smirks on their faces, she had feeling that by June 24th, she would know as many spells as she would need. 

✧