PROLOGUE

For someone who had rarely left France, in all seventeen years of her life, the opportunity to travel to Hogwarts for almost a full school year was exciting for Elodie Beaumont

The rumours that there was a high-scale event which involved travelling somewhere, and also involved the two other magic schools in Europe spread around Beauxbatons like wildfire. No one knew what it would be - and the most likely event had been crossed off as a possible meaning for the trip. 

The many students of Beauxbatons had, indeed, crossed the Triwizard Tournament off the list of any inter-school events. To be fair, the reason behind it was solid, it hadn't happened since 1792. 

And on the Monday before the 31st of October arrived letters for students who were in sixth year or up, Elodie Beaumont had opened her presents along with a letter from the school, which told her she was to be attended the trip to Hogwarts, even though the reasons were still unknown.

That was, until two days letter, when a seventh year recieved a letter from their parents, which had asked them if they were excited for the upcoming visit to Hogwarts, and if they thought they would be putting themselves forward to participate in the Triwizard Tournament.

And just like the rumours, the truth spread from student to student, possibly quicker than the original rumours had. That night, it was confirmed by Madame Maxime that it was the Triwizard Tournament which would be taking place.

The choruses of people metaphorically kicking themselves for crossing the tournament off the list of possibility so early on echoed through the dining room, and as soon as the food was being cleared away by the nymphs, the older years were out of their seats and rushing to the library,

Elodie was sure that Madame Brodeur had never seen so many students in the library at one time, and just for her moment Elodie could see her usual collected exterior slip, as she slid her glasses off of her nose, seeing if her eyes were decieving her or not.

"They found out about the tournament, Madame." The french words slid off of Elodie's tongue smoothly. "I say that as if I didn't just find out the same. I don't suppose you have any books on it hidden away?"

"I can't think of any, Miss Beaumont." Madame Brodeur replied, her voice just as dry as it was with any other student was, but to say that she didn't prefer Elodie over any other students would be a lie - the girl was someone she saw a little bit of her younger self in. "I can recommend to you the rather large history book which ends around the beginning of 1800s, which would include something on the tournament."

Elodie nodded, having to hide the small smirk when she had found out that she had gotten something out of the woman. Following Madame Brodeur like a dutiful lap dog, Elodie's eyes widened when she saw the thickness of the book, which was also almost folding apart. Luckily, she had taken the extra elective class the previous year which taught her a few spells for fixing things.

"I don't suppose you have any books in English? Or even basic conversation? I would like to brush up on my language skills before we leave." Elodie asked, and Madame Brodeur nodded, pointing at a certain aisle before walking away. "Thank you!" Elodie called after her, before heading over to the section which was pointed out.

"I hope you come bearing good news." The familiar voice of Fleur Delacour called, as Elodie returned to the room she shared with Fleur and Amelie. Fleur was painting her toenails on her bed, the silvery blue of the duvet clashing with her uniform.

"Madame Brodeur loves her, I wouldn't be surprised if she went around pulling history books out of fifth year hands before giving them to Elodie." Amelie shouted from the bathroom, making her way back into the bedroom, already changed into her pajamas and her hair half dry.

"I have one book, and a book on English." Elodie told them. She placed the English book on her own bed, before sitting down next to Fleur, carefully crossing her legs under her so that she wouldn't knock the blonde's hand. 

"It won't tell us a lot - not much more than what is really general knowledge." Elodie explained. "It should be worth the read, though." 

Amelie and Fleur remained silent as Elodie read out the couple of pages dedicated to the competition, first about the very first one, and then about the latest one, and why it stopped the competition.

"It sounds fun." Elodie commented, as she gently closed the book, grabbing her wand and casting the fixing spells, watching as the book fixed itself. 

"It sounds dangerous." Amelie made a face, picking as the label of her moisturiser "Are you guys going to enter?" The slight bitterness to her tone was ignored by the others, knowing it was only because Amelie wouldn't be able to enter, being too young.

"I think I will." Fleur mused, placing the cap of her nail polish back on the bottle. "No doubt, Durmstrang will be putting forward their best students, Hogwarts as well. I could be the only girl."

"My dad went to Hogwarts." Elodie said. "I think it sounds like a great place. Whilst you might be right about them putting forward their best people, it's a bit different for them. All year we will be there." 

Fleur nodded in agreement, and the trio fell into conversations of peaceful chatter and giggles. The two eldest, feeling especially bad they were leaving Amelie behind, even though she claimed she would be fine. 

But there was something about it being majority of the school year that was unnerving. She didn't know why, but after reading about the previous Triwizard Tournament, which had led to it being cancelled due to so many tragedies, Elodie couldn't help but feel as if something bad would come of this tournament.

And whilst Fleur was determined to enter, Elodie wasn't so sure.

. . .