˗ˋ 31

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY FIGURE OUT THE CLUE

. . .

"Pine fresh." Fred said, and the double doors swung open.

Elodie stepped through the door first, before quickly rushing back to help Fred pull the egg inside. It seemed to have gotten heavier since she last carried it - since that morning. Either than or there was something else in the bag.

And this idea was proved correct when she peered in the bag, seeing various clear bottles at the bottom of it, as well as what seemed like clumps of material - a change of clothes and towels.

"I haven't been in here for a while, forgot was in here. Plus I thought we could have a little fun after we've tested your theory." Fred dug out a couple of the bottles, holding them up.

"Firewhiskey.. and?" Elodie recognised the amber coloured bottle, but not the clear one that greatly resembled water in his other hand.

"Gigglewater. We don't have any punch to sweeten the Firewhiskey so I thought that something sweet would be best. It's still alcohol though, so I guess it could be a chaser. Who cares, it's good." Fred shrugged, and Elodie smiled slightly, glancing towards the large pool-like bath.

"You know, we have only kissed once." She mumbled and Fred was quiick to reassure her that it didn't necessarily have to be sexual or anything like that. "In that case.. we should probably test out the egg, right?"

"We should. There's a place to change behind there if you would prefer and that cabinet over there has bubbles in if you want them." Fred pointed them out, and Elodie nodded.

The French champion moved over to the area that Fred pointed out and took off her clothes, her swimsuit already underneath. It was in the colours of the school - the usual silver, and instead of it just being a plain swimming costume, it was a two piece, the top having ruffles around the top and bottom hemline.

She took her necklace off and hung it up on one of the clothes hooks, a tiny bit nervous to step out from behind the wall.

"Don't worry love, it's only me." Fred called and Elodie felt her face turn pink. "I took the liberty of choosing the bubbles for you - is vanilla alright?"

"Yes.. um.. I'll be right out." Elodie pulled one of the towels and wrapped it around herself, moving over to the bath and slipping in.

"You look pretty." Fred said, and Elodie frowned.

"You haven't even seen me - I've been covered in the bloody towel." The girl replied and Fred shrugged. Elodie moved over beside him, looking at the golden egg in his hands,

"Yeah well I just know that you are, I don't actually have to see you know. I'm smart like that." The ginger boy continued.

"I'm sure you are." Elodie said, gently tugging the egg out of his hands. "Ready?" She asked, and Fred nodded.

But it seemed Elodie almost wasn't, and Fred watched as the girl hesitated, eyes fixated on her reflection in the surface.

"What's up?" he asked softly, carefully prying the egg out of Elodie's hand.

"If I'm wrong then I have no idea what else to do. And I can't turn up to the task not knowing what the fuck is going on." Elodie was panicking, but Fred was smiling.

"El, you know you're right. There's no way you can't be." He said. "It's simple, you were so sure before and it's only natural to have doubts, but you know that you're right. You know that it's going to work underwater."

"I guess.." Ellie mumbled. "Will you do it for me?" She looked hopeful.

Of course Fred would, and he told her as much. "You ready?" He asked, waiting for Elodie's nodded. "Ok, 3....2....1."

Elodie and Fred plunged under the water, and the boy opened the egg. They both flinched, only to realise that the screaming couldn't be heard.

"Come seek us where our voices sound,
We cannot sing above the ground,
And while you're searching ponder this;
We've taken what you'll sorely miss,
An hour long you'll have to look,
And to recover what we took,
But past an hour, the prospect's black,
Too late, it's gone, it won't come back."

Instead of screaming, there was singing. And upon hearing the message, Fred and Elodie resurfaced, eyes wide.

It had revealed so much about the second task, yet so little. And so, because of this, Elodie began to seriously worry.

What in the name of Merlin was going to happen in the second task?