˗ˋ 05

CHAPTER FIVE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH HARRY CAUSES CONFUSION

. . .

"What is it?" Elodie asked, as Harry appeared. "Do they want us back in the Hall?" Harry just stood them, looking between them, them focusing on the floor. A flurry of footsteps could be heard, and all of a sudden, Harry wasn't the only one there.

Ludo Bagman took Harry by the arm, leading him foward, closer to the other three. "Extraordinary!" he muttered, squeezing Harry's arm. "Absolutely extraordinary! Gentlemen... lady," he added, approaching the fireside and addressing the other three. "May I introduce - incredible though it may seem - the fourth Triwizard champion?"

"What?" Elodie instantly exclaimed, looking between Harry and Ludo, then at the other two competitors. Cedric looked confused, and Viktor seemed to have a dark frown on his face. 

"Harry's name just came out of the Goblet of Fire." Ludo continued, and all three of the representatives at each school glanced at Harry, then each other, then Bagman. 

"But there must be a mistake. He is too young - he can't compete." Elodie frowned, and Harry avoided her gaze, which made her feel awful. But in the long run, that was the rules, and Elodie was more than interested in sticking to them. 

"Well... it is amazing," said Bagman, rubbing his smooth chin and smiling down at Harry. "But as you know, the age restriction was only imposed this year as an extra safety measure. And as his name's come out of the goblet... I mean, I don't think there can be any ducking out at this stage...It's down in the rules, you're obliged... Harry will just have to do the best he -"

Bagman was cut off by the sound of the door opening and a large group of people came in: Professor Dumbledore, followed closely by Mr.Crouch, Professor Karkaroff, Madame Maxime, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Snape. Elodie heard the buzzing of the hundreds of students on the other side of the wall, before ProfessorMcGonagall closed the door.

Elodie instantly walked over to Madame Maxime, who took as motherly stance as she could, peering over the situation with a concerned look on her face. "They're saying he should compete." Elodie said, talking in extremely quick French which made the others stare at her. "He is too young, there shouldn't be four champions!" She continued.

"Shhh." Madame Maxime replied, before drawing herself up to her full height, the top of her head brushing the ceiling. "What is ze meaning of zis, Dumbly-dorr?" She asked, imperiously. 

"I'd rather like to know that myself, Dumbledore," said Professor Karkaroff. He was wearing a steely smile, and his blue eyes werelike chips of ice. "Two Hogwarts champions? I don't remember anyone telling me the host school is allowed two champions — or have I not read the rules carefully enough?"

"It is impossible," said Madame Maxime, whose enormous handwith its many superb opals was resting upon Elodie's shoulder. " 'Ogwarts cannot 'ave two champions. It is most injust."

"We were under the impression that your Age Line would keepout younger contestants, Dumbledore," said Karkaroff, his steely smile still in place, though his eyes were colder than ever. "Otherwise, we would, of course, have brought along a wider selection of candidates from our own schools."