˗ˋ 61

CHAPTER SIXTY ONE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THE FEAST IS OVER

. . .

All four champions looked sick with nerves, each entering the Great Hall with their families. Or in Elodie's case, with Fred and George. Despite the rather green pallor to her face, the Beaumont girl was all smiles, standing with the twins as they both waited for their family. 

Cornelius Fudge had now joined the judging panel, George pointing him out beside Ludo Bagman. Their feud with the Bagman man was still very much ongoing, and the name was spoken with such resentment that Elodie shivered.

What had happened to Barty Crouch Sr. was a question all of them wanted answers to. None of them were exactly sure whart had gone on, but all they knew was that he wasn't there to judge the final task. 

"There's Mum and Alexander." Elodie said, standing up from the corner they were slouched in. "Oh-" She added, sinking back slightly as she realised that they weren't alone. Mrs Weasley, Bill and Harry were with them, and as the three best friends shared a glance, they moved quickly over.

"Mum, Bill, nice tour?" Fred appeared between Bill and Alexander - who seemed to be getting on rather well. "I see you've met up with the Beaumonts again?"

"Célia and I had a rather interesting conversation." Mrs Weasley began, and Elodie and the twins simultaneously gulped. "About you and your joke shop ideas." And once again in sync, their eyes widened.

"Hey, Mum, Alexander - let's go sit down? Fleur's over there." Elodie turned to her mother and brother, beginning to ushering them away, mouthing apologies to the twins. 

"Not so fast, El." Fred abandoned George, who looked utterly betrayed, as he caught up with the girl and Alexander and Célia continued towards where Fleur was waving them over.

"I'm so sorry, Fred." Elodie winced, peering over his shoulder and watching George try to smooth things over. "I should've known that they would somehow meet up - of course Alex and Bill would be friends, it's almost inevitable!"

"Don't worry about it." Fred quickly said, an arm snaking around Elodie's waist and giving her a reassuring squeeze. "Me and George can sort it, we've managed to do it before. We can.." He trailed off, looking blankly for a moment. "Tell her that you translated it rather literally."

"That could work.. I guess. I still feel really bad - I should make it up to you at some point." Elodie's gaze drifted down to the floor, looking guilty. The combination of this - she knew how Mrs Weasley could get with the twins' pranks - and her nerves, was not the nicest feelong. 

"Hey - don't worry." Fred repeated, gently coaxing her chin upwards and brushing hair out of her eyes. It was so careful, almost as if he was trying not to harm her before the task. "Don't worry about this, don't worry about the task. You're doing to do great."

"I haven't felt more nervous about it than now. What if it all goes wrong? What if I haven't looked at enough charms and end up dead or something?" Elodie seemed to be spiralling, and rather suddenly Fred had removed his hand from her waist, and the finger under her chin moved.

Cupping her face in his hands, he kissed her, shutting her up once and for all. "There we go." He said, pulling away. "Now, Ellie, you're going to do great, okay? Don't worry about it and hey - you should have some bouillabaisse." He steered her down the aisle, standing beside her and smiling at her family as she sat down in a seat next to Fleur. 

"I might not be extremely popular with your family currently." Fred turned to Alexander, who watched him, head tilted. "But please make sure she eats something."

"Don't worry, I will." Alexander nodded, and Fred made his way back over to the Gryffindor table, ready to deal with the mess that he and George had gotten into.

Elodie managed to get a few mouthfuls from each of the many courses, feeling far too sick to get anything down. She barely comprehended anything going on around her, but she felt her spirits lift when her mother finally turned away from Fleur and looked at her.

"You'll do well, I know it." She began, and Elodie nodded, not saying anything. "And after considering it, I believe that we may be able to arrange your request. It will have to wait until we get back home, so we can discuss it with your father."

Overwhelmed with gratitude and nerves, Elodie managed to splutter out a thank you, as the enchanted ceiling overhead began to fade from blue to a dusky purple, Dumbledore rose to his feet at the staff table, and silence fell.

"Ladies and gentlemen, in five minutes' time, I will be asking you to make your way down to the Quidditch field for the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament. Will the champions please follow Mr. Bagman down to the stadium now." He said, and terrified, Elodie rose to her feet, fellow Beauxbatons students applauding. And Madame Maxime was loudest of all, her rather large hands creating a thunder-like sound in the hall.

Meeting Fred's eyes, the boy nodded, giving her a swift thumbs up. And with the sounds, looks and actions of encouragement, Elodie began to shaky journey down to the Quidditch pitch.

Where the final task of the Triwizard Tournament would begin.