˗ˋ 18

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
✧ 
-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SNAPE IS SUSPICIOUS

. . .

George was right - or at least, he appeared to be. It might have just been because Snape was in a particularily bad mood that morning. Or he might genuinely have gotten fed up of Fred and his prolonged 'glances' at Elodie, who seemed somewhat fluent in the languages of potions. 

And in that sense, it might also have been Elodie's fault that Snape was in a bad mood. Whilst explaining the potion that they were to produce that lesson, the French champion had been basically ignoring him, fiddling with the end of her quill and drawing tiny little bubbles on the side of her parchment. 

"Is there something bothering you, Miss Beaumont?" Snape had asked, his usual, drawled tone just a tad bit more angry than usual. 

"No, I just know how to make this potion already. Many alchemists have been educated at Beauxbatons - you may be familiar with Nicolas Flamel? Yes, I suppose you are." She paused, her tone rather soft and all-knowing, and it annoyed Snape to no end. "Well, he came in and taught a class or two - learnt it from him. The potions department at Beauxbatons is truly something else." Elodie mused. 

Beside her, Fred and Angelina stiffled laughter. They knew about Elodie's instant disliking to the man - from when she was first chosen as champion. There hadn't really been incidents within the potions classroom yet - but already they knew that Elodie was probably the best at talking back to Snape already.

Because he simply couldn't fault her. The was she spoke, her tone and expressions, made her seem the image of pure innocence - that she was knowledgable and respectful, not like she was being rude at all. 

"So I've heard." Snape drawled, a snarl almost appearing on his expressions. "I suppose you're familiar with a muffling draught?" A couple of Slytherins laughed, but Elodie only stared up at the teacher.

"A potion to silence animals, things and most importantly, humans. I brewed a perfect dose the first time I made it - about two or three years ago." Elodie replied, and the Slytherins fell quiet rather promptly. 

"He can't even take points off of her." Fred hissed to Angelina, a gleeful sound of laughter escaping his lips. Angelina nodded, leaning forward slightly, waiting for Snape to reach his breaking point. 

"In that case.." Snape smirked slightly. "Whilst the rest of the class will be studying and brewing a hicoughing solution, seeing as you find it so easy, you will be making a Draught of Living Death. Which, if not perfect, you will be testing it on your friends."

"Thank you, Professor, for accomodating to those who have been following a different syllabus to the students here at Hogwarts." Elodie simpered, her smile so fake that it almost seemed real. Snape, having had enough, turned around and stalked off towards the board.

Fred and Angelina high-fived, and instantly got five points taken off of them. The class began, and borrowing one of the newer copies of Advanced Potion Making, Elodie got to work. 

"Do you actually know how to make it?" Fred watched as Elodie reached for the Sopophorous bean, that was jumping around like nobodies business. With a quick press of her knife's blade, the bean was still, and Elodie looked up at Fred, smiling.

"I've made it at least twice before." She told him. "I know exactly how to stop the bean, prepare the exact amount of each ingredient. Potions is simple to me." Elodie said, squeezing the rest of the juice from the bean into the cauldron. 

"Fair enough." Fred shrugged, watching in slight awe from where he was working with Angelina. It was so obvious that the champion knew exactly what she was doing, from the way she moved around, looking focused but yet so relaxed at the same time.

She stirred the potion seven times clockwise, which she knew to do without even glancing at her book. Fred even noticed how her direction of stirring seemed to change for just once stir, before returning to it's usual pattern. 

"Professor Snape?" Elodie rose her hand in the hair, and the greasy-haired teacher, swept over to the table. Around forty five minutes had passed, and he seemed particularily skeptical, considering he had given the entire lesson to do it - and there was still half an hour left, at least. 

"Yes?" He drawled, and Elodie looking up at him, no emotion really showing. 

"I've finished." She told him - and even Snape had difficulty hiding his shock. 

"Very well." The teacher replied, disappearing for a few moments, before reappearing with a single golden leaf. Elodie watched, slightly smug, as the leaf disintergrated in the potion. 

Snape reached for her potions book, and Elodie watched, confused, as the teacher flicked through the pages, before slamming it down on the table, obviously not very happy.

"How did you learn how to make it so quickly." It could have been a simple question - but Snape seemed ever so suspicious of her. 

"Well from my lessons. And I just added techniques of my own." Elodie shrugged. Snape, with nothing more to say, swept away. 

He didn't bother Elodie any further, and seemed to completely ignore her as she left the classroom. She might have 'won' that time, but she couldn't help but worry about what he was try and get her to do next time.