˗ˋ 28

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH IT'S THE BALL

. . .

"Champions over here please!" McGonagall's voice rose above the low rumble that came from the chatter of the students, and Elodie looked towards Fred, who began to pull his date towards the front. 

They stood by McGonagall, Cho and Cedric as well as Harry and his date, a girl in Gryffindor called Parvati. Krum was stood just a behind the group, talking to his date - whose face Elodie couldn't quite see - but was dressed in a silky blue dress.

Professor McGonagall herself was dressed in robes of red tartan and had a wreath of thistles around her hat. The Transfiguration teacher ushered the champions to the side, telling them to wait whilst everyone else went inside.

As they arranged themselves either side of the door, Cedric and Harry and their dates on one side, and Viktor with his date with Elodie and Fred. The French girl turned around and was surprised to see that Hermione was his date.

Shocked, she dug her elbow into Fred's side, the boy half doubling over in sudden pain. "What was that for?" He hissed. Elodie muttered her apology, before pointing back at Hermione. "That's-" Fred looked back at Elodie, and she nodded, meeting Harry's eyes across the gap.

Everyone filed past the champions, and as soon as everyone had settled, McGonagall ordered the pairs, first Harry, then Elodie, then Viktor and then Cedric.

Then, they entered the Great Hall, hearing applause as did so. The four of them made their way to a large round table at the front of the Hall, where the judges were sat.

The walls of the Hall had all been covered in sparkling silver frost, with hundreds of garlands of mistletoe and ivy crossing the starry black ceiling. The House tables had vanished; instead, there were about a hundred smaller, lantern-lit ones, each seating about a dozen people. 

When the champions and their partners reached the table, Percy Weasley - someone who the twins had pointed out to be their brother and Crouch's assistant - drew out the empty chair beside him, staring pointedly at Harry. Harry took the hint and sat down next to Percy, who was wearing brand-new, navy-blue dress robes.

"Thanks a lot, Perce." Fred scoffed, as him and Elodie sat down next to Harry and Parvati. The giner-haired boy turned his back on his brother, knowing that him just constantly teasing him would ruin the night for Elodie. 

Instead, he plucked on of the small menus that laid in front of them, studying them. "Pork chops." He said, the food appearing in front of him. "What are you having, love?" He asked, and Elodie looked up from the menu, blushing. 

"Coq au vin." She said quickly, looking from the menu to her own plate. "Hey-" She exclaimed as it appeared, slightly shocked by it, and Fred laughed.

"Haven't you been paying attention during any meals this year? Were you too busy staring at me?" Fred flirted, and Elodie shook her head. 

"You know, this is like our first official date." Elodie suddenly said and Fred choked, looking up at her. He stared for a while, not replying until she looked up. "What, feeling awkward? Need George to wingman you?"

"What are you on about?" Fred frowned, but Elodie only smirked. 

"Or to distract me whilst you're choking?" She didn't say anything other than that, but instantly his mind was sent straight back to the first visit that she came on to Hogsmeade. Which meant she had seen everything. "I do pay attention, Freddie." 

"Oh, I bet you do." He smirked. "You know if we weren't in the middle of dinner I would.." He lent forward and began whispering a choice few things in her ear. And by the time he was done, Elodie was blushing, and Percy looked over, disapproving.

"We'll see." Elodie said, trying to act as calm as possible as she returned to her food, eating a small bite before looking back at Fred. "Trust you to say that in the middle of this. Oh, and just remember you have only one kiss tonight." 

"Yes, and so I'll make sure to make it count." Fred replied, winking before returning to his food. A blush appeared over Elodie's face as she watched him. 

She was sure he would.