˗ˋ 02

CHAPTER TWO

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THE TOURNAMENT BEGINS

. . .

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, ghosts and - most particularly - guests," said Dumbledore, beaming around at the students. "I have great pleasure in welcoming you all to Hogwarts. Ihope and trust that your stay here will be both comfortable and enjoyable."

Beside Elodie, Fleur let out a muffled laugh, having been freezing cold since she arrived. Elodie was just as cold, but dug her elbow into Fleur's side. 

A girl over on the table of red hissed something in their direction, and slightly confused at the reaction, Elodie looked over, eyebrows raised. She met the girl's eye, who looked away, 

Elodie shrugged and look back to Dumbledore, who had told the crowd that they would learn more about the tournament after they had eaten. 

With the presence of food, the hall seemed a lot warmer. Of course, the food was visibly hot, twists and turns of steam rose off of them, most likely warming the air around them. 

"Is there any Bouillabaisse?" Fleur asked, peering around the table. Elodie stood up, looking around the tables. The shellfish dish was nowhere to be found at the table they were sat at, and so Elodie, sitting at the end of the bench, decided to go and found it. 

Making sure her skirt wasn't folded up (as short as it was, being folded would have been awful), Elodie walked around the end of the table, peering down the table next to theirs.

She saw what looked like the dish nearby the girl who had commented on Fleur's laugh, and adjusting her hair and hat, Elodie walked over, leaning over the boys sat there. "Excuse me." She began, and the very obvious accent on her voice drew the attention of most sat there. 

One of the boys with ginger haired turned a shade of purple-pink. Elodie ignored this, and pointed a finger to the dish. "May I take the bouillabaisse?" She asked. 

"Yeah, have it." Another boy said, pushing the dish towards her. He had dark brown hair and glasses, and when a curl of the unruly hair moved, Elodie noticed a very distinct scar. It was Harry Potter. 

All this happened in a moment or so, and Elodie looked down at the dish. "Have you finished with it?" She asked, and the ginger boy nodded, Elodie diligently refusing to look Hermione's way. 

"Yeah," The ginger boy replied somewhat breathlessly. "Yeah, it was excellent." Elodie nodded, brushing some hair behind her ear, leaning over to take the dish. 

She was walking back when she met the eyes of one of the twins who she had seen before. Still watching her, he said something to a boy next to him and sat up in his seat. "You thinking of entering?" The twin asked, and Elodie shrugged. 

"Thinking about it. I'm Elodie." She introduced herself, clutching the dish of bouillabaisse to her stomach. Fleur was staring over at her, as were a few others, wondering why there was a girl just stood in the aisle.

"I'm George." The boy replied. "And he.." The first twin pointed at the one across from him, who looked up at Elodie with a smile. 

"Fred. I'm Fred." He quickly said, and offered a hand. Elodie smiled a little, balancing the dish on one arm and somehow not dropping it, taking Fred's hand and shaking it quickly. 

"Are you going to enter?" She asked, but then a rather loud cough could be heard, and looking up to the top table, Madame Maxime was looking right at her, and then looked pointedly at the table. "I'll see you around." Elodie smiled at the twins, and as she retreated she could hear the twins and the others they were sat with pushing Fred, laughing. 

"Already made your move, I see." Fleur said, as soon as Elodie sat down with the dish, her words accompanied by that laugh she had that sounded so elegant, somewhat twinkly. 

"I just said hi." Elodie shrugged, a tiny smirk hiding in the smile she had, as she began to ate. The food never seemed to get any less, and most Beauxbatons students were surprised to see all of it disappear, being replaced by dessert, and then that disappearing as well.

Dumbledore began the second part of his speech by introducing Ludo Bagman and Mr Crouch, who had organised the tournament. He continued to explain that there were three tasks for the champions, that would test them in various ways. 

"I'm doomed." Fleur whined slightly next to her, and Elodie shook her head. "Fine.. I might not be." She adjusted her previous statement, and Elodie looked happier.

Whilst Dumbledore spoke, a old man, who seemed to be some form of caretaker for the school. He was carrying a bejewelled chest, which was placed just by Dumbledore. Everyone's eyes were drawn to it, staring at the chest as the headmaster of Hogwarts spoke. 

"As you know, three champions compete in the tournament," Dumbledore continued calmly, "one from each of the participating schools. They will be marked on how well they perform each of the Tournament tasks and the champion with the highest total after task three will win the Triwizard Cup. The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector: the Goblet of Fire."

With that, Dumbledore tapped the chest and it opened. Reaching his hand inside, Dumbledore pulled out what would seem to be an ordinary wooden goblet. 

However, blue flames had erupted from the top of it, obviously making it not so ordinary. All students gazed at in awe, as Dumbledore placed it on top of the chest. 

""Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion must writet heir name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment and drop it into the goblet." Dumbledore explained. 

"Aspiring champions have twenty-four hours in which to put their names forward. Tomorrow night, Halloween, the goblet will return the names of the three it has judged most worthy to represent their schools. The goblet will be placed in the entrance hall tonight, where it will be freely accessible to all those wishing to compete." He paused, looking around. 

He continued to explain he would cast an age line around it to ensure that nobody that wasn't of age could enter. "Finally, I wish to impress upon any of you wishing to compete that this tournament is not to be entered into lightly. Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet of Fire, he or she is obliged to see the tournament through to the end." 

"The placing of your nam ein the goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract. There can be no change of heart once you have become a champion. Please be very sure, therefore, that you are wholeheartedly prepared to play before you drop your name into the goblet. Now, I think it is time for bed. Good night to you all." Dumbledore finished, and the whole hall erupted in chatter. 

It seemed that now, the Triwizard Tournament had officially started, and that it was only going to get more and more exciting from then on.