˗ˋ 69

CHAPTER SIXTY NINE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE WAKES

. . .

Elodie's sleep felt oddly light. There was no dream - not really, her mind just seemed to filled with light. It was the rest of the utterly exhausted, someone who had gone through something so traumatic and draining that when the sleep came, after her mind and body calmed, it lasted almost forever.

The Beauxbaton's champion slept all throught the night, curled up on one of the Hospital Wing beds that Fred and George had got her to. The boys sat by her for what would become hours, watching as Harry was pulled in, a crowd of people coming in with him.

They witnessed Cornelius Fudge deny all allegations, heard about Mad-Eye actually being Barty Crouch Junior, heard about what exactly Harry saw when he touched the cup. Even - to their surprise - they saw a great black dog, only for it to turn into Sirius Black. 

Neither of them knew what to make of anything, and they trudged back to the Gryffindor Common room when Madam Pomfrey kicked them out, Harry taking a mouthful of the sleep potion and falling asleep within moments.

Nobody was allowed in the Hospital Wing that night, Madam Pomfrey making sure of that as she turned away visitors, promising that they could see her patients in the morning. Viktor Krum had seemingly come to before Elodie had arrived, and was recovering from his short spell of time under the Imperius curse in the Durmstrang ship. 

But that was before Madam Pomfrey had closed the Hospital Wing for the night, and even denied Madame Maxime's requests to have Elodie moved back to the Beauxbaton's carriage - 'Madame Maxime, you must understand." The nurse had began in perfect French. "Miss Beaumont has lost an incredible amount of blood, it is a surprise that she hadn't collapsed when she was in the maze. Shock and adrenaline was keeping her awake, and quite frankly now that she is alseep you should be glad and let the potion do it's job. By the morning, she will be feeling rather.. replenished."

Madam Pomfrey wasn't lying, and even though Elodie hadn't heard the conversation, when she had drearily blinked her eyes open the next morning, late June sun tipping through the large windows of the Hospital Wing, she quite frankly couldn't believe how much better she was feeling. 

Digging her hands into the surprisingly comfortable mattress, it still hurt as she pushed herself up into a sitting position, arms aching when she let them relax, shaking from the use. But in comparison to the night before, when all she could properly remember of her journey to from the Quidditch Pitch to the castle was the Weasley twins practically having to drag her there.

"Miss Beaumont, perfect. You have a timetable of visitors for today." Madam Pomfrey was trying not to pull a face as she bustled over to the girl, seeing she was awake. Placing down a folded bit of paper and a potion bottle down on the bedside table, the woman looked down at her. "Feeling better? A bit stronger I hope?"

"Yes, thank you." Elodie nodded, clearing her throat when she heard how scratchy it was. "Did you say a timetable?" She glanced at the folded bit of paper, twisting around to pick it up.

"Your friend Miss Delacour put it together when she arrived first thing this morning - as did a lot of other people. I would offer you breakfast but it's incredibly close to lunch, will you be able to wait until then?" Madam Pomfrey asked briskly, as she pulled Elodie's arm out from under the covers and began to unravel the bandages. 

Madam Pomfrey rushed off again where she saw the state of the cuts on her arm - not yet fully healed and scarring horribly. Glancing around, Elodie's gaze fell on the only other person in the room - Harry - who was staring straight in front of him. 

"Good morning Harry." She said gently, shifting in her bed so she was more comfortable. "How are you feeling." Harry's eyes drifted over to her, shrugging.

"Awful, if I'm telling the truth. You?" He replied, raising a hand to push his glasses up his nose. "They look pretty nasty." He gestured to the cuts on her arms.

"I feel strange - they don't hurt.. but they do. I think it's because they're supposed to hurt, if that makes sense - like because I can still see them it still hurts as if they hadn't be fixed with magic. This one's even worse, it ripped from the first task." Harry winced, looking up as Madam Pomfrey returned, carrying more bandages and a pot of salve.

"Elodie, I've arranged it so that your family may enter first, followed by Madame Maxime, then Miss Delacour and those Weasley boys. After that it's mixed groups of Beauxbatons students. You appear to be rather popular." Madam Pomfrey glanced distastefully over at the door. "I'll have you eat lunch first, but for now, just relax and let me treat these cuts."

And Elodie did just that, letting Madam Pomfrey deal with the two long slices along her arm as she relaxed physically, but mentally, thoughts were flying all over the place. She would get an explanation for them soon, but just for now, she would relax.

She deserved it.