˗ˋ 62

CHAPTER SIXTY TWO

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THE TASK BEGINS

. . .

Elodie joined Harry, Cedric and Viktor as they walked down the the Quidditch stadium, Bagman seemingly particularily interested in how Harry was doing and not noticing Elodie's glare - he was still yet to reply to Fred and George's letter, but it appeared that he wasn't planning on doing so.

They walked onto the Quidditch field, which was now completely unrecognizable. The small hedges had grown into  twenty-foot-high hedge that ran all the way around the edge of it. There was a gap right in front of them: the entrance to the vast maze. The passage beyond it looked dark and creepy. 

Five minutes later, the stands had begun to fill; the air was full of excited voices and the rumbling of feet as the hundreds of students filed into their seats. The sky was a deep, clear blue now, and the first stars were starting to appear. Hagrid, Professor Moody, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Flitwick came walking into the stadium and approached Bagman and the champions. They were wearing large, red, luminous stars on their hats, all except Hagrid,who had his on the back of his moleskin vest. 

"We are going to be patrolling the outside of the maze" Professor McGonagall told them. "If you get into difficulty, and wish to be rescued, send red sparks into the air, and one of us will come and get you, do you understand?"

They nodded, and Bagman clapped his hands together, looking at McGonagall, Flitwick, Hagrid and Moody. "Off you go, then!" He said brightly, and they set off to station themselves around the maze.

Bagman now pointed his wand at his throat, muttered, "Sonorus," and his magically magnified voice echoed into the stands. "Ladies and gentlemen, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! Let me remind you how the points currently stand!" He began.

"Tied in first place, with eighty-five points each - Mr Cedric Diggory and Mr Harry Potter, both of Hogwarts School!" The cheers and applause sent birds from the Forbidden Forest fluttering into the darkening sky. "In second place, with eighty points — Miss Elodie Beaumont, of Beauxbatons Academy." More applause came. "And in third place — Mr Viktor Krum, of Durmstrang Institute!"

Glancing up into the stands, she saw her mother and brother sat with the Beauxbatons lot, and across in the crowd of Hogwarts stuudents Fred and George were applauding, smiling down at her.

Fred winked, pausing his clapping to stick his thumbs up and elbowing George, who hurriedly did the same. Feeling sicker and sicker as each moments passed, Elodie barely listened as Bagman continued speaking, eyes focused on the maze.

It was so dark and foreboding, and although she knew that whatever she would encounter within would certainly fit that standard, Elodie couldn't help but feel as if something much worse could happen in there.

She teared her eyes way, nerves threatening to actually make her throw up. Not knowing where to look, her eyes remained fixed to the ground, sleeves pulled up over her hands and muttering spells and tactics for specific creatures to herself.

Elodie didn't even dare look over to the judges' table, already being able to feel Madame Maxime's eyes boring into her. Cedric and Harry were called forward and took their position at the entrance to the maze.

As they were in joint first place, it meant that they got the head start, and the two Hogwarts students waited for the signal to begin. It came not long afterwards. 

"So... on my whistle, Harry and Cedric!" said Bagman."Three - two - one -" He gave a short blast on his whistle, and Harry and Cedric hurried forward into the maze. 

It closed up behind them, and when it opened again, the Hogwarts students were gone, and instead a long, thin passageway could be seen between the bushes.

"Miss Beaumont." Bagman called, and taking a deep breath, Elodie made her way up to the entrance to the maze, glancing up at Fred once more. He looked just as nervous as she felt, but as soon as he caught her eyes, a smile was forced onto his lips and he winked at her. 

"On my whistle!" Bagman called, and hearing the piercing whistling noise split through the air, Elodie ran into the maze, pulling her wand out. 

"Lumos." She muttered, and as her wand cast a blue light around her, she glanced black just for a moment watching as dark green shrowded her, the Beauxbaton's champion swallowed by the maze.

a/n
why am i so nervous 
writing this even though
i already know whats gonna
happen with everyone
and don't worry she's getting 
a better playout than fleur because
that was just misogyny from jkr 
like girl tf