˗ˋ 66

CHAPTER SIXTY SIX

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE RETURNS TO THE BEGINNING

. . .

Finally out of the maze and Elodie began to relax, feeling the tension that had come along with sensation that she was always running from something in that stupid maze. 

And with the relaxtion, came the sudden shock of pain. Sure, the cuts on her arms had stung before, but now that she could finally focus on something other than some beast coming after her or Krum waking up or trying to torture her, Elodie found the pain steadily growing. 

McGonagall was trying to get her back as quick as she could, but almost dropped the poor girl when she cried out in pain. "It's okay - it's okay. We're almost there, and then Madam Pomfrey can help." The usually uptight and constantly professional Professor McGonagall seemed to be failing miserably at her usual demeanour, flustered and panicked as she looked down at the splitting skin on her arms.

The teacher was right, and in the near distance, Elodie could hear the hum of the crowd as they approached the area that glowed in the night. They were no longer cheering, but talking among themselves as they waited for any of the champions to return. 

"Come on, just a bit more." McGonagall was practically dragging her now, and Elodie managed to stumble along, and all rather suddenly her gaze was filled with colours, the orange glow of laterns and no longer the blue light that came from the end of McGonagall's wand, her left side covered in hedges. 

Shocked gasps echoed in her ears as the crowd saw her. They had all seen the red sparks fly out of the maze, but nobody knew who was in trouble, or why. 

Screaming could be heard, and pushin gin the crowd. "Madame Maxime, please wait." Dumbledore's booming voice echoed across the grass, sweeping across it and suddenly in front of them. 

"Professor Dumbledore, Miss Beaumont has quite the tale." McGonagall hissed, glancing around at them. In the crowd, Madame Maxime, Célia Beaumont and Alexander were fighting to get down onto the ground. And up in the higher stands, with Mrs Weasley, Fred and George had begun shouting, pushing to trying to get to the stairs.

Fleur was already on the grass, somehow having gotten over there before anything else, rushing towards her best friend. "What happened? Why are you bleeding?" She asked, speaking rapid French and trying to hug her.

Elodie could only shake her head, being pulled over to where Madam Pomfrey had set up her tent, ushering the girl in. "Miss Delacour, if you would please wait out here with the rest of those worrying." Elodie was already in the tent as McGonagall told Fleur, Dumbledore moving into the tent with Madam Pomfrey. 

"What happened, Elodie?" Dumbledore asked, looking serious. Madam Pomfrey was bustling around, collecting up balms and bandages and holding up a wand. 

"Headmaster, if you don't mind waiting to question Miss Beaumont. In case you haven't noticed, she is currently staining some of my best sheets." Madam Pomfrey practically snapped. "In fact, Professor, you may be able to help."

"Whatever you need, Poppy." Dumbledore pulled out his own wand, looking down at the girl. Her arms were raised up by slants of wood attached to the bed, the wounds on her arms having opened in the movement and tears stained her cheeks. 

The Professor and Nurse began muttering the same incanation over and over. "Vulnera Sanentur." They mumbled, and with a strange sensation filled Elodie's arms, and the cuts began to disappear, leaving dried blood and long scars up the each of them - or just the one, the other returning to how it had been like before the test.

"This will help with any pains you feel, and this will help you get back on your feet later on." Madam Pomfrey put down a balm and a potion on the table beside Elodie's bed, the girl nodding. "It is best that we get you up to the Hospital Wing so that I can monitor your condition. Which beast did this? I'll have to mix up a potion for any toxins." 

"It.. wasn't a beast." Elodie mumbled, Dumbledore hearing her perfectly and straightening up. "It was Viktor.. but he wasn't in the right state of mind. Professor McGonagall had Hagrid take him up to the Hospital Wing."

Dumbledore and Madam Pomfrey shared a look, the woman nodding and moving quickly around the room before disappearing. "Now, Miss Beaumont. What is that you said about Mr Krum not being in the right state of mind?"

"He.. he.. He had this strange sort of look in his eyes. They were oddly blue, like a veil had been pulled over his eyes. He was trying to attack all three of us, and he used the Cruciatus Curse on Cedric - but I don't think he was doing it on purpose." Elodie began, Dumbledore nodding. "I think heh was under the Imperius Curse. I don't think he would do that." 

"Thank you, Miss Beaumont. Would you mind telling me everything to do with that situation from the beginning?" Dumbledore asked gently, using his wand to magically apply the balm and wrap bandages around her arms. "Then you can see those waiting for you."

And with a gentle nod, Elodie began telling him everything.