˗ˋ 09

CHAPTER NINE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE MEETS RITA SKEETER

. . .

Elodie was in Charms class, a Weasley twin either side of her, when there was a knock on the door. A young student opened the door, and the class fell silent, Flitwick peering over his desk. 

"Yes, Miss Alward?" Professor Flitwick asked, and the extremely small first year girl looked around, before seeing Elodie, an embarassed blush spreading across her cheeks, a slightly awed looked in her eyes.

"I need to bring Miss Beaumont downstairs, Professor." The girl said, and Flitwick looked across the class, his gaze landing on Elodie - as did many others. 

"Of course." Elodie got up, then looked down to the girl. "Should I bring my things with me?" She asked and the first year nodded enthusiastically. "I'll see you two at dinner." She smiled down at the boys, after collecting her stuff.

"Good luck." Flitwick said, in perfect French to the Beauxbatons student. She replied in such fashion, and pretended not to notice Fred's expression as she turned back to shut the door. 

Since the night where she had taken a midnight walk, she had plenty of time to daydream about it. But it just so happened that the both of them had the same idea - pretend that it didn't happen at all when with others, or even alone.

But she needed to push those thoughts out of her mind for now, as the first year took her to the room nearby the Entrance hall. "You're very pretty." The first year girl mumbled, and Elodie's heart almost exploded, a smile appearing on her face.

"Thank you - I think you're absolutely gorgeous." She replied, and a blush blazed brightly on the girl's face as Elodie walked through the door. "Au revoir." She waved slightly at the girl, before closing the door.

Inside the door was a classroom, all desks and chairs pushed up against the walls, leaving a space in the middle. Three chairs, however, had been placed end-to-end infront of the blackboard and covered with a long length of velvet.Five chairs had been set behind the velvet-covered desks, and LudoBagman was sitting in one of them, talking to a witch she hadnever seen before, who was wearing magenta robes.

Krum was stood in the corner, nodding slightly when he saw Elodie - a sign that Elodie took as a greeting. Cedric stood to the side, and deciding it was probably the best way to pass the time until Harry got there, she struck up a conversation with him.

"Ah, here he is!" Bagman exclaimed, and Elodie looked over. "Champion number four! In you come, Harry, in you come.. nothing to worry about, it's just the wand weighing ceremony, the rest of the judges will be here in a moment-"

Harry asked a question, to which Bagman answered quickly. Something ended up involving the woman, who Elodie glanced over at. "Rita Skeeter. She's a journalist." Cedric murmured in her ear, and she nodded, understanding now.

Harry disappeared into what looked like a broom closet with her - and Bagman informed Elodie that Rita was looking to have an interview with her as well. 

Soon enough, Harry reappeared, looking slightly furious. Elodie worried whether or not she would emerge the same way - but didn't have long to worry, as Skeeter pulled her into the closet. 

"Now, I have a translator quill right here." Skeeter gestured to the floating piece of parchment, a quill hovering above it, the quill scratched something out, parchment turning to Elodie, who frowned.

"I understand English. I have been learning it since I was three." Elodie told her, and Rita looked surprised, before waving her hand and the quill switching with another.

"That's nice - didn't manage to loose the accent fully though, did you." She twittered and Elodie spluttered, but didn't have time to formulate a reply. "How do you feel, being the only female contendor."

"Perfectly fine. Any one of those three outside could have easily been a girl." Elodie replied. Rita nodded, glancing to the parchment. 

"You don't feel like you're unfairly disadvantaged - or in danger?" Rita continued, and Elodie scowled. "Oh no - you don't want wrinkle lines." The woman simpered.

"No, I don't. I'm the best from my school, I am not disadvantaged in anyway. If anything it's Harry, seeing as he is in fourth year and the rest of us are way older." Elodie snapped, and Rita stared down at her paper.

"And what about your relationship with the Weasley twins - the both of them must sure be fun, huh?" Rita looked at Elodie, who looked as disgusted as she could be. "And what about your late night outing with Mr Weasley - Frederick, that is."

"How-" Elodie spluttered. "I believe that neither of those topics are anything to do with you." She said, just as Madame Maxime burst through the door. "Madame, she's asking inappropriate questions, insinuating certain things." Elodie quickly said in French, Rita looking positively nervous under the scathing glare.

"'Ow dare you." Maxime started before spouting off in a mixture of broken English and French. 

"Excuse me, I think I'll be leaving." Elodie stood up, exiting the broom closet, trying to adjust her uniform. "Madame Maxime will be out in just a moment." She smiled to the waiting adults and students, the sound of a shouting headmistress just as audible through the door. 

Elodie was right, and Madame exited just moments later, standing behind Elodie. "The Weighing of the Wand is about to commence." Dumbledore smiled, seemingly unaffected by the shouting.

"May I introduce Mr. Ollivander?" said Dumbledore, taking hisplace at the judges' table and talking to the champions. "He will be checking your wands to ensure that they are in good condition before the tournament."

A rather frail looking old man shuffled into the room, and Cedric and Harry seemingly recognised him, whilst the two others didn't.

"Mademoiselle Beaumont, could we have you first, please?" saidMr. Ollivander, stepping into the empty space in the middle of theroom. Elodie nodded, clutching her wand, and gently passing it to him.

"Yes," he said quietly, "nine and a half inches... inflexible.. rosewood... and containing , dear me." He peered at the wand, and Elodie wondered whether something was wrong. 

"Oh, it's a combined core of veela hair and a unicorn tail hair." She informed him, and Ollivander nodded, admiring it before waving it.

"Orchideous." He exclaimed, and a bunch of flowers erupted from the tip of the wand. With a smile, he declared the wand in perfect working order, and sent Elodie back to the line of champions, bouquet in hand.

After all wands had been examined, photographs had to be taken. It was a very long affair - Madame Maxime casting shadows wherever she stood, so much so that she ended up sitting down, everyone being positioned around her. 

Elodie was dragged to the front a few times, as was Harry. And after several solo shots, the group were free to go. 

Elodie practically ran out of the classroom, heading straight to dinner, flowers in hand as she noticed Fred and George at the Gryffndor table.

A smile on her face when she saw they had left a space for her.

✧