Chapter 20

The sound of the security system going off pulls me out of the shower

Someone's in my house.

I hastily grab a towel and throw it around my waist before I open the double doors leading to my room. The sun shines through the giant bedroom windows, blinding me as I run straight for my walk-in closet. I try to remain calm as the alarm cuts off.

I've never shared that code with anyone.

Beads of water mixed with sweat drip down my forehead as I rush into the small room.

Pushing aside my dress pants I bend down, reaching for my safe. Moving the dial with quick precision, I steady my hands and focus on opening it. My heart races with each clockwise and counterclockwise turn.

The sound of the final combination click grants me access, putting my body at ease.

I reach into the safe and grab my small Glock 19. Pulling the upper receiver, I hear the spring pull the ammo out of the magazine and push it into the firing chamber. I focus on my breathing as I move towards the stairs.

With every step, my pulse quickens.

How did they find me? I've been so careful.

Slowly, but intentionally, I make each movement, approaching the noise coming from my kitchen. With my trigger finger and thumb high on the gun's grip, I near the end of the hallway. Moving my finger to the trigger, I aim at the silhouette of the intruder in my kitchen, bracing for the recoil.

As I round the corner, I focus my front sight on the target, sitting on my marble countertop. He's eating a bowl of cereal, swinging his legs back and forth like a fucking child in a high chair.

"Don't shoot! I'll get another carton of milk this afternoon," he teases, raising one hand in the air, surrendering.

I take a deep breath and unload my weapon, laying it down next to its rounds on the island.

"God dammit, Mickey! I could've fucking shot you!"

"True, but you didn't," he says, bringing the cereal bowl to his mouth, slurping down the milk with a smile.

"You can't just break into my house when people are fucking looking for us!"

"Well maybe you shouldn't make it so easy." Mickey laughs as he hops down from the countertop.

I grab a mug from the cabinet and begin making a cup of coffee, hoping to settle my nerves. "What the hell are you doing here anyway?"

"Can't a dude just have breakfast with another dude?"

"Fuck off. What are you actually doing here?"

"I think the real question is, where's Olivia on this fine morning? Thought she was coming over last night?"