Chapter 30

"I hope you're craving Italian." Axel nervously smiles, standing in the doorway, holding up a bag of takeout from Tony's restaurant.

He looks good—really good—wearing his typical snug-fit button up, hugging his toned biceps. His hair's gelled back with a few pieces falling forward as he anxiously fiddles with the pocket on his plaid dress slacks.

"If this is your way of kissing up..." I gesture for him to come in. "...it's working."

Stay focused, Liv!

Walking into my foyer, his intoxicating cologne surrounds me.

Fuck—he smells so good!

He makes his way to the kitchen, setting the bag down on the island as I start to close the front door behind him.

"Ummm...Who's he?" I point at a bulky, broad-shouldered man, leaning against the wall in the hallway, impassively staring at me.

"My security. He's here on Tony's orders. I'll explain."

"Shouldn't you invite him in or something?"

"Bjorn, do you want to come in?" Axel asks, seemingly annoyed by his new shadow.

The brawny looking guy shakes his head no and lets out a grunt as he crosses his arms, firmly planting himself in front of my apartment.

A man of many words, huh?

I shut the door and head into the kitchen, curious to why Tony would even have security, let alone require Axel to.

"Do you want to talk while we eat?" He pulls the to-go containers out and places them on the counter.

Immediately, the pungent aroma of fresh parsley makes me realize I haven't eaten all day. I'm starving. He takes the board lids off and my mouth practically waters as my stomach whispers a quiet growl.

"Sure, I could eat."

Am I being bribed with food just like Liza?

Yes...Yes I am.

Axel empties the foil containers onto glass dishes and heats up our food in the microwave as I pour two very full bowl-sized glasses of wine.

The silence in the room is deafening. I open my mouth to speak, but stop myself. I want to say something, anything really, but I need him to do the talking this time.

Please let me in.

Even though we only went a day without speaking, I missed him. We usually talk or text throughout the day and when we aren't on the phone, we're working together. Normally, I prefer some alone time in a relationship, but with him, I don't want time apart. I know things are moving fast, but I don't want them to slow down.

Shit...I'm falling for him. Like actually falling for him.

"I hope you like Manicotti. It's Tony's family recipe." Axel sheepishly grins, trying to break the ice, interrupting the growing tension between us. "Mickey begged him to make dinner and when I told him I was coming to see you, he said you had to have a plate."

"Well, that was sweet." I take the wine glasses and bring them to the formal dining room as Axel follows with the plates. "Please thank him for me."

"I will."

Be bold. Start asking questions.

"Speaking of Tony..." I allude, hoping to finally get some answers.

"You want to know why a chain restaurant owner requires security?" he interrupts, reading my mind.

Per usual.