Chapter 39

The Alvarez family goes all out for Thanksgiving, so I try to put on a brave face and forget the heavy emotions of last weekend.

If that's even possible.

"Did the guys meet with that FBI agent?" Liza asks. She avoids the topic of Ricky, knowing I don't want to cry and ruin my makeup again.

"They did. He wanted to relocate them to L.A. while the Feds build a team."

"Oh? Mickey never mentioned that when we had dinner."

"Probably because they immediately shut it down." I sigh, frustrated with their decision. "I think they should go. It's dangerous here."

"Did you say that to Axel?

"Do you think he'd listen if I did?" We both laugh, knowing how right I am.

He's so fucking stubborn.

I hold the rectangular neckline of my new peplum blouse open, attempting to protect my curls as I pull it over my head and smooth it over a pair of high-waisted skinny jeans. Sliding my feet into shoes borrowed from Eliza, I clasp each side, praying I don't get blisters from the half-size-too-small wedges. Running late—per usual—we grab our coats and bags, making our way to the car she called.

Neutral-colored pumpkins and white mums line the front of the house as we pull up to the mansion, making the grand entrance even more dramatic.

Several of the staff members stand outside, preparing to greet us. Victoria typically sends everyone home for the holidays, but these four always stay behind. Having worked for the Alvarez family for many decades, they choose to be here for Thanksgiving.

"The girls are home!" Esther, head of the house staff, beams as our driver helps us out of the car, her smile growing wider by the second.

She always gets excited when we visit.

"Ready yourselves!" she shouts in a thick British accent at the others. They immediately fall in line.

I chuckle under my breath and whisper to Liza, "Whenever we come home, I always feel like we're in an episode of Downton Abbey."

"Same. And I've lived here most of my life." She laughs as we say hello before crossing over the wooden bridge on the way to the house. The dim fairy lights strung along the handrails give the pond below us a soft glow, illuminating the koi.

I swear this entire place is something out of a fucking romance movie.

Victoria paces inside the foyer, stopping to wave at us through the windows surrounding the twelve foot entryway. She dons an eager grin, dragging the giant wrought-iron doors open.

"I'm so glad my babies are home." She brings both of us in for a kiss on the forehead, leaving a mark of her bright lipstick behind.

"We've missed you too, Mom." Liza hardly hides her annoyance as she attempts to wipe away the red stain with her fingers.

We follow her into the open kitchen as her dark brown waves—identical to Eliza's—bounce with each step. She sways her hips as if on the runway. Her knitted, skintight dress and maxi cardigan flaunt her assets.

Can I look that hot when I'm her age?

She looks over her shoulder at us, batting her naturally long lashes. Her olive eyes sparkle with delight seeing our excitement to the massive food display that scatters across the marble island and counters.

Just like Liza, Victoria never does anything half-assed.

"Mom!" My best friend's eyes widen and her brows raise. "You didn't need to prepare this much food."