Chapter 24

"I'm back, bitches!" Eliza throws open the front door with her typical boisterous behavior, practically greeting the entire apartment building with an echo.

I impatiently watch Axel as he takes his sweet time pouring his coffee into a stainless steel travel mug. "You need to hurry the fuck up."

"I'm pouring the coffee as quick as I can!"

"Pour faster!"

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" Liza walks into the kitchen, beaming from ear-to-ear, looking Axel up and down. "Did somebody have a sleepover?"

"Axel's actually just leaving. He has an appointment downtown this afternoon."

"Appointment?" He looks at me confused as I return an insinuating glare, elbowing him in the rib. "Ohhhh, right! It's great seeing you, Liza! I'd stay and chat, but apparently I have an appointment."

"Liv is such a killjoy, isn't she?" She rolls her eyes as she reaches for my coffee on the counter, taking a sip. "I embarrass her a handful of times and now I'm not allowed to even have a conversation."

"I'm sure we will have plenty of time to talk tomorrow night. Maybe you can share some embarrassing Olivia stories then."

"Tomorrow night?"

"Dinner with Axel and Mickey." I chime in, reminding Liza of our double date.

"Oh, right! Yes, we'll be there—I'll be sure to share some humiliating shit."

"Looking forward to it!" Axel gives me a cheeky grin and squeezes my ass, hidden behind the kitchen counter. "Well, I guess I should head to my meeting," he adds sarcastically with air quotes before grabbing my waist and pulling me in for a kiss. "I'll call you tonight, baby."

"I'll be waiting by the phone."

Did I just say that out loud? I'm a fucking idiot.

Swinging his duffel bag over his shoulder while laughing at my cringeworthy response, he waves goodbye to Eliza and walks towards the foyer. Spending every day together for the past two weeks wasn't the original plan, but as he closes the front door, I find myself already missing him.

I've got it bad.

"Baby, huh?" Eliza laughs at my pet name.

"Fuck off!"

"Looks like you two have gotten pretty close." She smirks and sits on one of the bar stools, facing me, drinking my coffee. "How many nights did he stay over?"

I turn my back to pour another cup, avoiding my best friend's reaction to my response. "He stayed over the whole time you were gone..."

"You were together every fucking day for the entire two weeks? Jesus, Liv. This isn't just a hookup anymore—it's boyfriend shit."

"Well...About that." I pick up my freshly brewed coffee, warming my hands on the ceramic mug, and spin around to look at Eliza. "We actually made things official."

"Why am I just now hearing about this?! My girl has officially moved on! I'm so happy for you!"

"Well, I didn't want to bother you in Paris."

Lie.

"That's never stopped you before. What's really going on? Why didn't you call me?"

She knows me too well.

"If I'm being entirely honest, I'm still a little hesitant. I think he's hiding something pretty big."

"That's not fair, Liv. You were the one who told him he didn't have to tell you about his past."