Chapter 37

After crying on the stoop for several minutes, the Herrera's invite us in, insisting that I now call them Maria and Eduardo.

We meet all the kids staying at their house and take a tour. They beam with pride when showing off the finger paintings strung along the hall and the renovations, paid for by Axel and Mickey.

Being back in this home really puts my life into perspective.

"I've got it handled in here," Maria says as I open a can of cranberries. "Why don't you go play football with the boys?"

"I don't want to leave you to do all the cooking—"

"I've got this, mija," she interrupts. "Go outside!"

Nodding, I place the can on the counter and wipe my hands on a checkered dish towel. I follow the sounds of yelling and cheering, heading across the street to the park.

The cold winter wind burns my cheeks, making me wish I grabbed my coat from the car. Before walking to the field, I stop at the old playground that used to be the center of so many of my joyful memories. It now looks neglected by the city.

I'm not even surprised.

The bridge connecting the two play structures gives the impression it's been out of commission for years and there's profanity graffitied along the cracked slide. The swing-set where I used to hide from the world is completely rusted with a warped frame. Beer cans and trash sprawl across the weed-covered field where the kids play.

This can't be safe.

"Look out!" Mickey yells as a football flies across the grey sky towards me.

Stretching my arms up, I reach into the air and catch the ball between my frozen fingertips. I smile at Mickey, who's obviously surprised that I caught it.

"Where'd you learn that?!" he asks, not even trying to hide the shock in his tone.

"My foster brother." I reply proudly.

Ricky didn't just teach me how to fight.

"Well, in that case, Olivia's on my team!" Mickey shouts, excitedly.

Axel grins, looking impressed as I walk across the brown-tinged field. The dormant grass crunches under my shoes with each step I take toward the team huddle.

"Alright, Mickey. We get it. We won't fuck it up. We know how bad you want to win," Jake, the oldest of the group, responds, rolling his eyes.

Mickey turns to him, resting his hand on his shoulder. "Watch your fucking language. If Maria hears you talking like that, she'll blame me."

And where would she get that idea?

"That would be fun to watch!" One of the younger kids, Ethan, chimes in and smiles at me, showing off the gaps where his baby teeth used to be.

The boys laugh and eventually come to an agreement on our play. As we break, I glance over at Axel's huddle and see him creating a plan with his team. Watching him interact with these kids makes my ovaries burst. I know I've always said I never wanted to have children, but this is so fucking cute.

He might change my mind.

Axel sees me staring and quickly runs over to me. "Good luck, babe." He places his gloves on my cold cheeks, warming them and brings me in for a kiss. "You're going to need it!"

"Hey!" I pull away, playfully hitting his shoulder. "You're the ones that'll need it." I give him one more quick kiss on the cheek before returning to my team.