Chapter 15

"Why the fuck is Jack coming here?" My words are cold and harsher than Frank deserves.

The company that Jack went to work for is still closely connected to the tech industry. I just never thought our worlds would meet again.

We're separated by an entire ocean for God's sake.

"Who's Jack?" Axel says as he eavesdrops from the open doorway, casually sipping his coffee.

Am I jealous of a coffee mug right now?

Axel has this unique ability to be charming and sexy in every situation. Seeing him nonchalantly rest his shoulder on the frame almost distracts me from my growing aggravation.

Frank looks to the door, waving him in, and I roll my eyes in tandem with a loud, frustrated sigh.

Aw, come on! Can we not discuss all the details of my personal life?

"Oh, Frank, I really don't want to intrude. I can come back later."

After witnessing my dramatic reaction, Axel makes an attempt to leave, trying to respect my privacy, but Frank isn't budging.

"Nonsense. Have a seat," he commands, ushering Axel to the chair next to his.

Well, this is fucking great.

Let's invite my current relationship in here to talk about my failed one.

And let's do it all before I have my morning coffee...

"Jack is a former employee." Frank chooses his words delicately as he continues, "He also had a personal relationship with Olivia that was...inauspicious."

Pfft. More like he's a cheating prick.

Mr. Alvarez swiftly moves the conversation forward as if he's reading my mind. "The company he transferred to is working on a new development, pitching their project to our board in hopes that we'll purchase the rights, based on the interest we showed at the convention last year."

"Where does Jack come into play?" I ask directly, avoiding any more of his word games. My eyes remain focused on Frank as Axel's worried gaze fixates on me.

"He's the lead engineer."

"And what about Charlotte?" My voice cracks as her name leaves my lips. Insecurities begin to build and that hurt, broken woman from two years ago starts to resurface.

I've already wasted too much time on him...I can't continue to let this affect me.

"She's in town, too."

"Great! That's soooo great," I mumble under my breath, dripping with sarcasm.

"Well, if you have any further questions or feel the need to take the day, please feel free."

And with that Frank scoots his chair out, standing to take his leave. He waves goodbye and shakes Axel's hand before retiring to his office.

Mr. Alvarez doesn't like sarcasm. I personally believe that his brilliant mind doesn't hold the capacity to understand it. However, Eliza thinks he just lacks a normal sense of humor. Either way, he's not pleased with my attitude.

I guess I failed his test.

My emotions always overpower my sense of reason.

I wish I could be more like Frank and disconnect from my feelings, thinking logically and rationally, but I'm just too damn sensitive.

The idea of seeing Jack or Charlotte makes my stomach turn. If only I had more of my shit together, showing him he fucked up a good thing.

Though I'd never take him back.