Chapter 21

Sitting in my office, I stare at my laptop screen, the calendar glaring back at me.

Friday.

Axel's in meetings all morning and I'm supposed to be working through our donor list, but my focus is on the fact that Jack's back. I honestly don't know if I'm ready to face him.

Maybe I won't even see him today.

Browsing the list of names, I try to distract myself with work. I create a spreadsheet and categorize the donors. As I compare the new list to my existing contacts, my office door swings open, followed by a half-assed knock.

My eyes meet his and my throat goes dry as my nerves get the better of me.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

Straightening my posture, I attempt to look composed, but feel the color leave my face.

"Liv, it's been far too long."

"Not long enough, if you ask me."

He stands confidently in the doorway, wearing his signature leather jacket over a white button-up, tucked carelessly into his charcoal, tapered dress slacks. His unruly, wavy curls are parted to the side with loose strands falling into his face as he playfully pushes them back, while his other hand grips his motorcycle helmet.

Jack looks more disheveled than usual and his familiar cologne I once loved, is masked by the smell of...is that whiskey?

Is he drunk?

He closes the door behind him and makes his way over to me.

"Leave it open."

"As you wish, babe." He smiles mischievously and turns around, opening the door.

I'm not your babe, asshole.

He walks towards the chair across from mine and as he sits, the stench of cigarettes and stale booze overwhelms me.

Definitely drunk.

"What can I do for you, Jack?" I tap my pen against my desk, emphasizing my annoyance.

"Well, I can think of a few things that you can do for me, Liv." He winks, leaning back in the chair, getting comfortable.

"I'm sure Charlotte would love that, wouldn't she?"

"You know, you haven't changed a bit. You still look fucking incredible." He responds remaining level-headed, ignoring my mention of his girlfriend.

"This is extremely inappropriate and I'm going to have to ask you to kindly leave my office."

And by kindly I mean, fuck off.

"Woahhh. Harboring so much resentment for me, still?" He reaches forward and places his hand on mine as he continues. "God...We used to have a lot of fun in this office."

I yank my hand away, recognizing his touch no longer has an effect.

"What the hell do you expect from me?" I whisper-yell, regretting the open door. "You broke my heart, not giving my feelings a second thought. Not even a fucking apology and then you come in here wanting me to play nice?!"

"I'd actually prefer naughty." He quips with a devilish smirk.

"Oh, fuck off. Honestly just fuck off, Jack. You can't take anything seriously, can you?"

"Maybe you take life too seriously. Maybe you need me to loosen you up like I used to." His grin grows sinful as if he's reminiscing.

What did I ever see in this guy?