Chapter 2

We make our way to the open bar filled with expensive liquors, but with each step I take, I feel as though someone is watching me.

As soon as we reach it, we take a couple of shots and Liza signals to the bartender to keep them coming. I fiddle with my dress and anxiously adjust my slit to make sure I'm not exposing too much, while trying to focus on the latest gossip coming out of Eliza's mouth.

"He's basically loaded as fuck. A millionaire or billionaire or some shit. His company's number one in the tech industry and you know he's Dad's biggest competition." She pauses to see if she's grabbed my attention yet. "He has a Gatsby-esque vibe about him, very elusive and mysterious. No one really knows him, but I've heard he's hot as hell."

I snap back into reality. "Wait...Liza, are you telling me we are in Axel Carrington's fucking mansion?! Holy shit. We need to leave now! I've already drank too much to remain professional tonight!"

"Liv, chill the fuck out. I knew you wouldn't come if I told you where we were actually going. We probably won't even see the man tonight." She rolls her eyes. "Like I said, he's very elusive. This is like one of eight houses he owns and I'm fairly certain he doesn't even attend these functions." She stops to throw back another shot.

As she drinks, I take the opportunity to finally interject. "So why have these parties?"

"I'm sure it's a publicity stunt put on by his PR team to keep him current. He doesn't have social media and the few photos of him online are always in a cap and sunglasses. I've heard even his own staff has to sign an NDA." My rumor-loving best friend pauses again, to order another round and passes me a shot.

I'm going to hate myself tomorrow.

"Honestly, not many people know what he looks like apart from his chiseled jawline..." Eliza laughs at her own witty remark before continuing, "He's extremely private and at this point, I'm not convinced he's a real person."

I feel somewhat better after her lengthy reassurance. "Thanks, Liza. I needed that. I'd rather not meet a tech legend after multiple shots of fireball."

She smiles and teasingly adds, "No problem, babe. Trust me when I say we have a better chance of meeting the Pope."

I finish another shot and let out a laugh. "I'm pretty sure you'd burst into flames the moment you stepped into the Pope's presence."

Eliza chuckles and calls me a cheeky bitch as she quickly makes her way to the dance floor. I let her know that I am staying behind to have a bit more liquid courage before dancing with her and her friends.

The bartender overhears our conversation and asks what I'll be having. I request something strong and fruity.

I grab the colorful cocktail and sip it while walking around the giant ballroom, admiring the house's incredible architecture. The shiny, white marble floors and bright, white high ceilings with sparkling chandeliers are truly magnificent. The simplistic sculptures and artwork are clearly one-of-a-kind pieces.

He has remarkable taste.

Finishing the last sip of my drink, I realize that I've wandered off too far from the main room. I tipsily stumble into an empty library that looks off-limits. Usually at parties of this magnitude, rooms are passive-aggressively roped off.

Well...since I'm already in here, it wouldn't hurt to take a look around, would it?

I nervously set my glass down on my napkin, admiring the impeccable room design. Floor-to-ceiling cherry-stained shelves line the walls with a curated collection of classic literature. There must be hundreds upon hundreds of books stacked in organized rows, where their insides could not be deduced by their covers.