Chapter 31

"I don't even know your real name?!" I blurt out, standing up from the dining room table, accidentally knocking over my chair.

What else has he lied about?!

"I'm sorry, Olivia. I didn't want to lie to you—I had to." He pauses, meeting my cold stare, filled with regret. "I fucking swear to you, everything else between us has been real."

"Oh, yeah? How am I supposed to know you're telling the truth this time?"

"You don't," he answers honestly. "I'll have to earn your trust again." He gets up from the table and walks over to me, closing the space between us. "But I'm willing to wait for however long that takes."

Fuck. That was a cute answer.

"Why?" I question his motives, trying to conceal my growing heartbreak, hiding my urge to cry. "Why are you willing to wait for me? We barely know each other. Hell, I still don't even know your real name. We've only been on a couple of dates and—"

"I love you!" he interrupts, surprising us both.

"What?!" My jaw drops and my eyes widen upon his admission.

He did not just say that.

"I know it's probably too soon to confess my feelings, but I have to." He reaches for my hands, interlocking our fingers while looking into my eyes.

Your timing is terrible.

I yank my hands away, fuming. "What the actual fuck?!" My tone is harsh as I reply through gritted teeth, glaring at him. "Why the hell are you telling me this now?"

"You need to know why it's impossible for me to walk away. I can't give up on us because I fucking love—"

"Stop saying that!" I cut him off as tears fill my lids, threatening to spill over. "It's not fair."

"I'm sorry, baby. I'm not trying to upset you." He takes a step back, giving me some space and allowing me to calm down. We stand in silence as I blankly stare, processing everything.

Axel loves me? Do I love him? How can I? I don't even know his real name.

He takes a deep breath, attempting to break the tension, "I know this is a lot to take in."

That's putting it lightly.

"But I want you to know how much you mean to me," he adds, continuing to fight for us.

"What is your actual name?" I ask, ignoring his ceaseless efforts.

He teasingly extends his hand to shake mine, greeting me like it's for the first time. "Elijah Cole Alexander." Mischievously grinning, he winks, attempting to lighten the mood. "It's a pleasure to officially meet you."

I roll my eyes at his inability to remain serious. "So what do I even call you now?"

"Your boyfriend—I hope."

I roll my eyes again.

He's impossible.

"Sorry..." he pouts. "Just trying to cheer you up."

Why does he have to be so fucking cute?

"You can call me Axel." His eyes fall to the floor and his shoulders drop, showing his pain for only a brief moment. "I left Elijah behind in prison. I'm not that man anymore."

I nod, understanding how difficult that must've been for him. "So where does Ace come from?"

"My initials backwards." He chuckles. "My foster brothers gave me the nickname as a joke when we used to play cards in the group home and it kinda stuck."