Chapter 26

The tension in the room can be cut with a knife as the sound of a faint horn honks in the distance.

"Is your ride here?" I interrupt, still hoping to change the subject and move past this nerve-wracking conversation.

Liza glances at her phone and nods in confirmation. "Yes. But before I go, I want Axel to answer my question."

Oh, fuck me.

I love my best friend. I really do. She has a good heart and honestly means well. But when she drinks, she speaks her mind a little too freely, not caring about any collateral damage.

And in this case—I'm the casualty.

"I'll answer your question if you answer mine." Axel's tone is firm and direct, very sobering. "How do you know about that conversation?"

I place my hand on his, trying to de-escalate. "I think we've all had a bit much to drink. Maybe we should just call it a night?"

"Yeah, Liv's right," Mickey chimes in, attempting to join me in diffusing the situation. "Come on Liza, let's get your crazy ass home."

Axel gives him a nod of approval, allowing their exit and Mickey helps Eliza out of her seat. Walking to the front door, I hug them goodbye and whisper to Mickey, "Please keep an eye on her."

He grins from ear-to-ear and puts his arm around my stubborn best friend. "She's a fucking spitfire—I love her already. You've got nothing to worry about, Liv."

I laugh as he guides that troublemaker into the backseat and watch as they drive off. Leaning against the doorframe, I stare as the car slowly gets smaller, finally vanishing into the horizon.

Now to face Axel.

I walk into the dining room, preparing to fix the mess Liza made, hoping we can rip the Band-Aid off and clear the air.

"I'm sorry," he says surprising me with an apology as I take my seat next to him at the table. "I know I lost my cool and started to take it out on Eliza."

"She has a way of pushing all of the right buttons. I get it." I smile warmly, reassuring him it isn't his fault.

"Wanna tell me how she knew about that conversation?"

I can't lie. We said no lies.

"I overheard you speaking with Mickey at the office a few weeks ago." Axel's eyebrows raise and his posture perks. "But before you think I was intentionally eavesdropping...I had originally gone back for my phone and heard raised voices and didn't want to interrupt, and then I was just standing at the door and wasn't really sure what to do and I'm so sorry, I really—"

"Olivia," he cuts into my long-winded confession, calmly placing his hand on mine. "What did you hear?"

"I'm really sorry. I hope you don't think I was spying on you or some shit, I just didn't know how to ask you about it."

"What did you hear?" He ignores my apology, repeating himself in an irritated tone. He pulls his hand away, now visibly distant.

What's his problem?

"Mickey seemed uneasy about someone looking for you...Something about Tony's guys telling him." I pause and take a drink of wine, feeling nervous. "You said that you didn't want to start over again and you'd handle it."

"And that's all that you overheard?"

"Yes, that was it. I walked away to help Penny in the hall and then returned to my office."