Chapter 29

"So you just left?" Liza's eyes widen as she sips on her coffee, nursing her hangover.

"What was I supposed to do? He had multiple chances to speak up," I respond, annoyed and frustrated by the night before. "I wasn't going to stick around looking desperate. Been there, done that."

And won't ever do it again.

"Jesus. Please lower your voice—my head is fucking killing me."

"And whose fault is that?"

"I know, I suck. I'm a terrible fucking friend that needs to limit her alcohol intake. Please forgive me—I'll buy your coffee for a month." She presses her palms together, pouting and begging.

I know my best friend's truly remorseful. She brought me breakfast and a latte, and has been apologizing for the last hour. Plus, the conversation between Axel and I needed to happen. I just wish alcohol wasn't involved and things didn't escalate. I'm honestly not mad at her.

But I'll take the free coffee.

"Fine. I forgive you, but make it two months."

"Deal! Now, are you going to finally answer that?" She points to my phone as another text from Axel comes through.

"He can wait it out. He had plenty of opportunities to talk last night."

"Alright, but I promised him I'd speak to you. He seems genuinely sorry and wants a chance to explain."

"I'll think about it," I say as I turn my phone on vibrate, ignoring another message. "But it doesn't take much to get you on someone's side. All he had to do was make you breakfast and you're fighting his case."

"Fuck you! It was a damn good omelette and he made me avocado toast."

We burst out laughing, knowing food can easily buy my best friend's favor.

"So Mickey, huh?"

"We fucking didn't." Liza huffs, clearly upset.

"Why not?"

"My drunk-ass puked and passed out in his bed. He tucked me in and left water and medicine on his side table." I raise a brow and she rolls her eyes. "I mean the gesture was cute, but I needed some dick."

"So are you going to see him again?"

"I've already texted him to make plans."

Holy shit. That's unlike her.

"Sounds like you're interested in pursuing something?"

"Don't push it. Let's see how things go when I'm with him sober." She chuckles, bringing her coffee mug to her lips. "And let's see how he does in bed."

"You're terrible."

"He knows what he's getting." She tilts her head to the side, shrugging. "Anyway, I need to sweat these toxins out of my body before my shoot tonight. Wanna join me at hot yoga?"

"Fuck no, I don't! I told you last time I'd never go again."

Worst workout of my life.

"Oh, come on. It'll be a good distraction, and afterwards I'll treat you to a green smoothie at The Juice Bar."

Goddammit—she's right. It would preoccupy my mind and I do love that place.

"Are the models going? Because there's no way I'm doing downward dog next to perfect-ass Alexys."

"No. It's a super casual class with a beginner instructor. Please come!"

"Fine. But, I'm holding you to that fucking smoothie."